Sound on a DCC Nscale switching layout

davidpen

Long Haired David
I have a small 5' x 1'3" layout (see my blog at http://www.gmrblog.co.uk).

I have two of the new Bachmann 44ton switchers and I operate using a Lenz Compact controller. I do have a have a much more sophisticated controller on my main HO layout if need be.

I have seen an advert for the Digitrax SDH164D in this month's MR. It retails at $39.95 so is very cheap, especially as it has a speaker attached.
Now my thoughts are to get two of these and address them at the same addresses as the locos and put them under the baseboard. I figure that as everything comes from the same direction, this ought to give a good effect.

Has anyone tried this idea or are there any comments?

David

You will get sound that way, but I doubt it will be very loud. The speakers were designed to be above the table, not below it. The table will baffle them quite a bit. I am not an N-scaler, but why not just install the decoders in the engines? Unless you are that limited on space (I thought Digitrax made them small enough to fit in most n-scale engines with no problems).

There is NO rom inside a GE 44 tonner for anything other than the integrated DCC chip that Bachmann supply. I take your point about the speaker but there is no reason why I can't run it through the baseboard and put it inside a building. I can then use the inside of the building like a speaker surround and maybe get great sound that way. As I am not limited by the loco size, I can fit a larger speaker, keeping in mind the electrical characteristics of the sound output.

Thanks for the thoughts. They have moved me onwards.

David

I've seen this done a few times, both on small layouts and on larger layouts where there is a dedicated switch engine in a particular town. Just place the sound decoder under the benchwork, use a big speaker (even an amp, if you match levels and impedances), consist the sound decoder to the motor decoder in the engine, and it works great.

Back