sound decoder choice

Hey guys! Bought an athearn bb gp7 at timonium today for ten bucks! All it needs is some tlc. Anyhow, I am thinking about adding a sound decoder to the loco and was wondering if anyone can recommend one that will work. I know, cheap loco, but I want to make it nicer so advice is appreciated! Thanks!

Great buy in my book! You got to love the GP7 if you are a fan of diesels, my favorites.

I can't recommend a decoder because I don't have any experience with DCC sound, but I had to congratulate you on your purchase!

I am sure on of the experts will help you.

And by the way, totally unrelated to trains, I have 2 pyscho beagles, my babies Sophie and Tucker

I currently only have one psycho beagle, though my dad always kept beagles, and his name is Milo. When I'm not in the train room, I have him in the woods hunting rabbits. It's pretty much his favorite thing ever and if I put on pants that look like they may be brush pants I had better take him with me or he will alert the entire neighborhood to the injustice :D Excellent, loyal, and yes, psychotic!! But I love him lol

Oh yeah, on a train related note, I cleaned the motor, tuned it, and have the trucks apart now for cleaning, motor isolation, and decoder installation, so if anyone has a decoder recommendation now would be the time ;) This is a real pretty GP7 too (at least I think so!) and I can't wait to put her to work in my coal yard!

How about a picture when you get it ready to line up some coal cars?

I use NCE for my DCC needs. I don't even know if they make sound decoders, but you could ask NCE to make a recommendation on what to use. They were very helpful in helping me select the right decoder to use in my old Lionel GP9 HO locomotive support@ncecorporation.com

I have not yet become interested in sound for my HO stuff, I am primarily a Lionel O gauge guy.

Here is a picture of the Bachmann GP7 DCC locomotive I bought a few months ago I suspect you will like its paint job.
41cXpYbY9wL.jpg

This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Attachments

• PRR Bachmann GP7 DCC.jpg
    PRR Bachmann GP7 DCC.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 156
For non-sound installation, I would say the Digitrax DH123AT, which comes with all the mounts, clips, and wiring to make your Athearn engine DCC.
For sound installs, it depends on what you want. If you want a sound decoder that has mostly appropriate sounds, decent motor control, and is inexpensive, Digitrax makes a sound decoder that says it has the GP38 sounds. It would be close enough, as it is a non-turbo EMD, though the sound files aren't that great. They can be had for about $50 or thereabouts these days, mainly because of the not-so-good sound files.
The next step up would be a modern, premium decoder, and they all run around $100, plus speaker. That's when you get into the "which is better" arguments. I like Tsunamis, but the new Loksound decoders have very good sound files, and better motor control than the Tsunami, at least out of the bag.

The Digitrax sound decoder has been a disappointment to those of my friends who have tried it in comparison with the premium sound decoders, but it is a budget oriented solution. Tsunmais are good, and the motor control is not so bad but requires tweaking. Titans and Lok Sound are OK but have multiple registers you need to access to get them programmed. This gives a lot of flexibility but can make programming challenging. The new TCS Wow Sound looks promising but the diesel units are still not out. They will be in a few months according to the folks at TCS.

I have plans to get one of the bachmann GP7s as well whenever I get a chance, but I wanted a project loco while I was at the show, and $10 for a loco that needs a few bucks worth of parts is perfect for me! I think I will go with the Digitrax decoder, only because I have no intention of sinking $100+ into a loco that I picked up for $10. If I don't end up liking the decoder, I don't have to use the sound I suppose. I mainly want a bell and horn sound for the thing, since it will be working the yard.

Edit: Does anyone know what the decoder number is for the GP38? I can't seem to find any data on what sound file the decoders hold as far as diesel and steam sounds.

Last edited by a moderator:
bought an athearn bb gp7 at timonium today for ten bucks! ... I am thinking about adding a sound decoder to the loco and was wondering if anyone can recommend one that will work. I know, cheap loco, but I want to make it nicer so advice is appreciated!
I have no intention of sinking $100+ into a loco that I picked up for $10.
Ha! That is always an issue. I recommend a simple non-sound DCC decoder. Let the BB be what it is. Save the sound for the locos with less noisy drive trains. If the loco is going to be localized to a yard you could get a stationary bell/whistle whose speakers are under or in and around the yard.

To your other question:
The Digitrax "generic sound" decoder is SDH166D. Apparently it can be loaded with any of the sounds from the Digitrax sound-depot.

In real life the GP9 prime mover is 16-567C while the GP38 prime mover is 16-645. In the sound-depot I see a set for the 38 but not the 9. I am guessing that one of the F unit sound sets for the 567B or the 12-567C would be closer than those for the GP38.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the loco is going to be localized to a yard you could get a stationary bell/whistle whose speakers are under or in and around the yard.

Hmm.. that could be a good idea. That would mean that my other switcher could use the same bell and horn without having to decoder it as well. I may still look at the generic decoder. My question is, how do I load sounds to it? Do I have to have a digitrax system? I currently have a bachmann ez-command system (I am still kicking myself for passing up the $80 MRC Prodigy Express sets at the show!!!) and am not sure if I can load sounds or even select sound schemes on the decoder with the system I have.

There are two soundsets in the decoder (steam and diesel), selected by CV. In order to download more files, you would need to purchase a programmer, which would not only eat up the savings realized by purchasing the generic decoder, but would probably cost about $50 more for the decoder and programmer than buying one with the correct sounds already loaded.
The sound files are 645 non turbo, and the steam sounds are recorded from the UP 3985. I have a soundbug with the 3985 sounds, and the steam sounds are no better than the diesel.

Oh, you can mount a Tsunami under the layout, and connect it to a small home stereo. You can then MU the bare decoder to the locomotive you are running, and it will sound like it was installed in a locomotive.

Back