Some unanswered questions

chessie_system3

I had forgotten some kits that I have that I have had for some years now. I have a C&O depot that reminds me of the depot i grew up around in West Virginia. Its a wooden kit. I have asked about putting it together at what was my local hobby shop but walked away with nothing. I don't even think the guy even did any hobbying. Anyways anyone with experience doing wood kits please help me with this. I'd love to have it on my layout.
It doesnt end there either...I also have 4 C&O signal bridges. They are brass kits. I have never worked with brass just like i have never worked with wood. Hopefully I havent bit off more than i can chew with these kits.

I had forgotten some kits that I have that I have had for some years now. I have a C&O depot that reminds me of the depot i grew up around in West Virginia. Its a wooden kit. I have asked about putting it together at what was my local hobby shop but walked away with nothing. I don't even think the guy even did any hobbying. Anyways anyone with experience doing wood kits please help me with this. I'd love to have it on my layout. It doesnt end there either...I also have 4 C&O signal bridges. They are brass kits. I have never worked with brass just like i have never worked with wood. Hopefully I havent bit off more than i can chew with these kits.
I've read this through several times, but I don't see a question in there. What exactly about "putting it together" do you need help with? Something simple like type of adhesive?

I have found that you can do whatever you are willing to tackle.
Results may vary.

I too do not understand or see any questions.

If you are asking if you should build them, sure give it a try.
Worst that can happen is that they look like something I have built.
Lots of experience gained though.

Ok after i reread my post i see i didn't ask anything. My questions are what do I use to put the wood kit together? How do I go about piecing my signals together?

I have never worked these types of kits before. I asked about a glue to use for the depot and I got a deer in the headlights look. The brass kits that i have i the directions are very bleak to say the least. And I have to paint em and do lighting to them. None of which I have done before.

I would use wood glue for the wood structure and maybe some instant glue.
When I built RC planes I would put a drop or two of instant glue to hold a piece in place while the wood glue dried.

For the brass usually solder.
Did the brass kits come with lighting?
When soldering I would recommend a 25 to 35 watt iron with a small conical tip, .060" or smaller and fine solder, .020" or so.
I use H&L Electronics liquid flux. Washes off easily with water.

And, ask many, many questions as you go along.
Lots of people here have vast knowledge of these types of projects and very willing to help.

Model Railroader did a recent video about putting together wooden kits. Try to find that, it had several helpful tips. As to the brass, I have no suggestions.

You will need to decide if you want LED lights or something else.
LEDs come in several sizes.

What would be my best bet for lights? LEDs cause they are brighter or regular bulbs? Also how would I mask my wiring? Or do I deal with them showing?

What would be my best bet for lights? LEDs cause they are brighter or regular bulbs? Also how would I mask my wiring? Or do I deal with them showing?

LEDs are popular because of the very little heat they generate and because they last a very long time. There are some good articles out there about using them for signals but I don't seem to have a reference handy.

If the brass parts don't need to be soldered for electrical connections or for mechanical strength then it is probably easier to just put them together with super glue. The power leads for the LEDs can just be painted to look like electrical conduits and ran down the leg of the signal tower to a connection under the table.

The other thing with LED's not often mentioned, is that the light beam is straight and narrow, like a torch, whereas with light bulbs it spreads out. So, ideal for headlights and searchlight signals.

I've only built one wood kit in my years of doing this. One thing I had heard while researching how to do it was to paint the wood on both sides to seal it before construction. It has something to do with warping. As far as glue goes, I used wood glue on mine and it turned out fine. I don't know if your kit is a "craftsman" kit, which means a pile of basswood that you cut and build to scale plans, or a laser cut kit that just needs to removed from the surrounding wood. If it's the latter, make sure you use a new blade in your hobby knife to cut away the extra. As you can hear, I'm no expert on the subject, I'm just repeating things I have heard over the years in other peoples threads. Good Luck!

It sounds like you may have the "Marlington" depot kit by either Gloor Craft or Quality Craft models. I would use Ambroid cement to assemble with. Its fast drying and strong. White glues take much longer to dry. Definitely paint both sides of the wood to prevent warping. Use CA, superglue to attach the metal details.

The instructions, if it is a Gloor Craft or QC kit, are very well detailed and will literally "hold your hand" as you build it. I built one of these kits over 20 years ago, enjoyed it very much, and had to sell it so I wouldn't have to pack it, when we moved up here. I sold a lot of structures from that layout.

My depot kit is a Blair line. Laser cut kit. I pulled it out of the box once. Looked at it. Got overwhelmed and put it back in the box. I don't know how to glue it together or what kind of paint to use.

How to assemble it, where and when to glue, would be in the instructions. I would strongly suggest that you read through the instructions at least once before you start. Blair Line are good kits, and their instructions are very well written. I've always used Ambroid cement on wood models, and I've always used Floquil paint on my structures, although any acrylic paint will do, like the cheap brands from Wally-World, etc. I would still suggest painting both sides of the wood to prevent the wood from warping.

Ever tried to take on a project and feel completely overwhelmed because you were afraid to really male a mess of things? Pretty much what happened to me.

My suggestion is to go through the directions and see if you can build it as sub-assemblies. Do a section at a time, and then it might not seem so overwhelming.

Ever tried to take on a project and feel completely overwhelmed because you were afraid to really male a mess of things? Pretty much what happened to me.

Personally, I never have. I believe that before you can run, you have to walk, and before you walk, you have to crawl.

I built my skills up by starting with the simpler kits, and as my skills developed, I went to more advanced kits.

But there is nothing that says you CAN'T build this kit other than your own trepidation. Read and study the instructions carefully, and if you have to, do it several times before you start. Take it slow, and you'll do fine, and after you're finished, you'll have something that you WILL be extremely proud of!

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought the kit just because I model the c&o lines in southern west Virginia. And at first glance and a little bit of a debate with myself I bought it. Thought how hard can it be? Maybe its just time to take the bull by the horns here.

Back