So many different phases of dash 9's! Where to start?!!!

wongsing

Hey everyone, I am in the process of building a couple BNSF dash 9 using a few late shells but had a really important question. As most of you know, there are different "phases" of locomotives as they evolve to better meet the needs of the railroad or to improve on the current product. This being said though, does anyone know how many phases of the dash 9 (9-44CW) that BNSF has owned? I had come across a website sometime ago that all of the phases that they owned were discussed but I can't seem to find it now. Anyone that may have any info on this would be greatly appreciated. Things like recessed vs. top fill sand filler hatches, upper or lower mounted air reservoir tanks, and even grab iron locations make a world of difference when you're spending alot of time on a model and you'd like it to be right. Any help would be appreciated on this...I'd love to start showing pics of where I am so far!

-Richard Wongsing

Richard, wouldn't it be best to go by prototype pictures of the units you were building?? The RR's change so many things when they get each batch, it would be hard to say what is correct unless your looking at the correct road #.

I think this directory would be a good starting point. I had a brief look at a few random engines and noticed a few easy-to-spot differences. For example, on #605 the ditch lights are mounted on the pilot but #4089 has them on the walkway. The livery is obviously different being that #605 was originally a Santa Fe engine, but look at the state of the paint! What a difference being 10yrs older makes.

Back