So I have this room

So I downloaded SCARM and I'm not good with it but I figured it out somehow to show basically what I want to do. I'm not sure it will work or not and I'm not one to follow plans real well either, I just see what I want in my head and build it sort of thing. I am not modeling any one area its just going to be the PP&L Railroad (Paw Paw and Leon, my grandson). Like I said before with the 4X8+ layout that I have now I am restricted to 4 axle engines and 57' or less on cars and if it still works out that way, well that will be fine too.
So if it is really messed up please tell me.

Thanks

With the space you have, I would opt for a single main line and use the space to add more scenery and industrial sidings. Having two loops instead of one does not vary your experience, it takes away from your realism as trains don't normally go through the same scene twice.

Now you opted not to encroach upon your desk, but if you ran a foot-wide shelf across the back of it, you could have room for 5 staging tracks. It may not matter to you now, but if you want to have a purpose for your yard, you could send trains to destinations beyond your layout and bring new trains in to serve your local industries.

to show basically what I want to do.
I noted two things. First is that it has "straight edge" syndrome. That is where much of the track run close to and parallel to the straight edges of the layout space. Generally considered to be not scenically desirable. Second is how the curves don't stay together in double track formation but sort of split apart. Some people do this intentionally for scenic interest, but in this small space, to me, it loses the double track feeling of the main line and wastes space.

Are you going to be operating this from the center pit? You probably already said that in the prior notes but somehow I missed it.

David,

Pardon me for entering on the thrid page.....but I think you are spending a lot of time designing something that is not using your space the most efficiently. Step back and look again.

Chip and Choops have provided you the best alternatives for your space, IMO.

Chip's around the room idea eliminates the tight radius curves, but requires a duckunder/liftout.

Choops design eliminates the duckunder/liftout but requires tighter radius curves.

The footprint of your design combines the worst of both; A duckunder AND tight radius curves. Frankly, I don't even think you could fit into the operating pit comfortably. Not to mention it would appear that somebody could easily catch their hip on the corner of the desk if they moved around the layout.

Personally, I like Chips idea of an around the room design since, as he mentioned, a 48 inch high shelf would just sail over the desk. Unless you have a filing cabinet or furniture higher than 48 inches, finding space for storage should not be a problem.

Take the time to arrange the room properly and to develop the proper footprint for the layout. JMO.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back