So how any times have you rebuilt our layouts

Just one. Had an N scale layout with over 11 scale mile of main line, but at the time in the late 70's the N scale locomotives for the most part were crap, not like today. Switched to HO scale and haven't built another. Running just fine after over 30 years, but have run out of room for any more structures.

My current one is my second major layout. The previous layout was about 3 scale miles of track but it was dismantled to put up drywall and carpeting in the basement. I made a couple efforts to rebuild the layout and got about 40 feet of shelf layout installed when I decided to sell the house and move on. I had one when I was in junior high school which was an open grid benchwork design but didn't get to far in it due to lack of funding.

I'm up and running on my fourth as of 16 months ago. However, and very unlike my three previous builds, this build has been a sporadic effort taking me four years to get to making puffball trees. I haven't even begun the yard. Stretching this one out to five years instead of five months.

One - I am in the process of my 1st rebuild and "almost" half done. I'm not going for a second time, as when this one is finished, in 3 years or so, I'll be one happy MRRer.

Technically, I'm on the second one as I was partway through what I thought I wanted and ended up having to tear down to move. Everything boxed up for the largest part of 7 years. Finally have a layout I want as far as the track is concerned.

Technically I am on on the fourth. Three "practice" ones over twenty years in my old train room; this one in a purpose built building, built in 2011-2012. I retired in mid 2015 and completed the lower level (benchwork and trackwork only) shortly after that. Upper level was completed in 2017. While much scenery work needs to be completed, I can run trains on both levels and anticipate scenery completion by early 2022. I have 70 industries to switch (I like switching), although many require scenery and details. I am a little behind my original schedule.

I'm on my fourth layout. I had a "layout" when I was in junior high, but it was not much more than some track nailed to plywood. The second was built in the basement of the rental home we used to live in. Never got to the scenery stage on that one. Then we bought this house, and #3 was built in one of the rooms in the basement. That one got to the stage of being able to run trains on the layout, very minimal scenery. That one was dismantled when SWMBO said I could take over the main room in the basement! Currently working on the benchwork for #4, a 19 x 7 layout with two loops and a 2% grade. With colder weather coming on, I should be able to get more done on it.

I have had 7 layouts plus several 3 modules. Technically only the last 3 count as "rebuilds". I built a 12x24 layout with sectional benchwork then moved. I rebuilt that layout benchwork into a 1950's era model of the W&N branch, got it to operating status (all the track in), then decided to back date to 1900-1905. I rebuilt the 1950 era W&N branch into the 1900 era W&N branch. I retired and moved into a new house, so rebuilt the 12x24 1900 era W&N branch into a 24x24 1900 era W&N branch.

I rebuilt an N-scale 2x8 layout twice. The original was a very basic toy train double track loop that followed the edges of the layout (started Thanksgiving day 1974). Summer of 1976 I redid that into one that was a little less boring by changing it to a single track mainline with passing sidings. What had been the interloop was squeezed into more of a water wings type configuration. With a yard in one of the loops (once again another toy train type thing), and a reversing cut off at the tight point. Then in 1981? I had the inspiration and went with elevations. The ridiculous yard went away. The inside loop was reworked to be an uphill grade dead ending at a large mine. The passing siding became a junction instead. The front of the outside loop was curved to the rear (getting rid of the tracks following the edge of the benchwork) making it a water wings sort of arrangement. Industries then populated the space created there. The rear outside loop remained where it was, but I added an additional siding (3 up), put up a barrier so it became hidden holding tracks. At the time I thought I was very clever, but later found out the concept of hidden storage tracks and the layout as a stage or scene had already been published. sigh - seems I am always one step behind the cutting edge.

Other than that I cannot think of any time I redid a layout. The other eleven or so (not counting modular units) were either sold, razed, or I still have them.

Back