snowmobilers cause derailments

Wow, I never thought of that. I guess a big enough patch of compacted snow (ice) could lift a loco off the rails. I wonder if the sledders thought of this possibility, or are they just in a hurry to get to the next tavern. (OK, that wasn't fair to the responsible snowmobilers. But then, they wouldn't have been crossing where they shouldn't have been.)

I would like to know what the official Federal report is on this matter. Snowmobiles may have crossed the rails, however, it is the responsibility of the train crew to look out for obstructions on the rails and react accordingly.

I read the report, and am wondering if the train went into emergency prior to hitting the built up snow, or if they hit it clean. The article also implied that the railroad was aware of snowmobiles using the right of way as usage, therefore, the railroad should have the responsibility of issuing a train order warning and reduced speed accordingly.

What type of signal system was the railroad using? CTC or block? What was the speed limit on the rails where the incident occurred? Too many questions remain on this to pin it totally on the snowmobiles. Don't take me wrong. I am just curious what part all parties took in participation as the jury is still out on my viewpoint.

SABRR -

I'm from that area, in fact I heard the rescue call yesterday morning on the scanner. The track speed in that area is probably about 10 MPH. We have had a lot of snow and an ice storm in the last couple of weeks. Riding in a locomotive up high in a white on white background seeing an ice berm would not be easy. The bottom line is the snowmobilers were TRESPASSING! They do not belong on railroad tracks under any circumstances. If there had been serious injuries or a hazardous spill it would have been the snowmobilers fault but of course they wouldn't have been around to take responsibility. There are 7000 miles of trails in NH for snowmobilers to ride, they should NEVER be on railroad tracks!

SABRR,

So you're saying it's OK for snowmobilers to cross the railroad tracks, and if something happens and the rails get obstructed, it's the responsibility of the railroad? So I guess I could drive down the BNSF mainline (near my house) with my Jeep, and if the vehicle kicked something onto the tracks, I don't have to worry because the train crew is responsible?

I don't think so, in fact I would probably be arrested.

No, I'm not saying it is okay for the snowmobiles to be on the right of way. As a former conductor on the C&O, I know how folks trespass all the time on the ROW. When snow like this happened on the Peninsula, CSX would equip the signal stations with generators. Folks would take the generators when the power was out and then they would return them once power came back on. Yes, it disrupted railroad operations, however, the ultimate responsibilities of operating the trains fell on the crews, train masters, track maintainers and the dispatchers.

The snowmobiles and their riders were in the wrong. No doubt. I was just curious about the actions of the railroad crew in this situation and what the railroad officials did to warn their crews, since it was implied that they knew about the activities; or didn't do.

Basically did one error get compounded by others? That's what I'm wondering. As a former railroad employee, dealing with ice and snow was something we were trained on. Even more were the dirt, rock and mud situations inside the many quarries we handled. I could only imagine how much more crews were trained due to harsher conditions further north.

No offense meant to the crew. I just would like to know the whole picture, not just what the press wrote.

Back