Smudge's First attempt at painting a building

I’ve had some difficulties too with the mortar effect on some of the structures I’m working on. I’ve had a little luck with weathering powders but because of my lack of experience with weathering, the results aren’t probably as good as they could be.
Mine are definitely poor to middling, but as novices to this weathering lark, it's one of those practice, practice, practice kind of jobs, more I do, better I will get, (I hope).

Trying to get mortar lines is definitely one of the harder aspects of weathering, but I'm not going to let it worry me, my layout is too small and with too few buildings to worry about things like that, I'm not a perfectionist, as long as it looks good from 3' away, I'm happy. :)

I'll never call myself a Railway Modeller, I prefer Enthusiastic Enthusiast, that's me. 🤣

Mine are definitely poor to middling, but as novices to this weathering lark, it's one of those practice, practice, practice kind of jobs, more I do, better I will get, (I hope).

Trying to get mortar lines is definitely one of the harder aspects of weathering, but I'm not going to let it worry me, my layout is too small and with too few buildings to worry about things like that, I'm not a perfectionist, as long as it looks good from 3' away, I'm happy. :)

I'll never call myself a Railway Modeller, I prefer Enthusiastic Enthusiast, that's me. 🤣
It definitely requires lots of practice! I’m only on my second building I’ve ever made so I can’t complain. I’m happy with the results thus far and I’m sure my skills will only improve.

Your structures are looking great too for being a beginner such as myself. Keep up the good work!

It definitely requires lots of practice! I’m only on my second building I’ve ever made so I can’t complain. I’m happy with the results thus far and I’m sure my skills will only improve.

Your structures are looking great too for being a beginner such as myself. Keep up the good work!
Thank, appreciate it, although I'll only have a few buildings, the goods shed will be my second one too, only leaves the Walthers one, and I'm dreading that build. Where are your build photos?

Finally got round to showing how the Loco shed looks with lighting, unfortunately I'm bad at doing this, and using a phone camera is not ideal either.
I would have liked to have taken the photo's with the shed on the layout, not my workbench, but haven't got round to redoing the power as I'm having to move all my yard lights as well.

lights1.jpg
lights2.jpg

Nice, haven't checked up on your thread for a while, coming along nicely, you've done a really good job so far, completion doesn't look too far away.
Thanks! It’s coming along. The structures are taking longer than anticipated but after that, the rest should proceed rather quickly.

Thanks! It’s coming along. The structures are taking longer than anticipated but after that, the rest should proceed rather quickly.
Yeah, building structures never quite seems to go at the speed we would like, this goods shed building is definately taking longer than I was hoping for.

Back