Smokey Valley and Micro Weld

blue92rs

Cheaper than therapy!
To break up the monotony of bench and trackwork I embarked on a little side project. Earlier this year I won a complete Smokey Valley GP15 kit, body, frame, and handrails for $10 on Ebay. I read through the instructions before beginning and noted they recommend Micro Weld glue only. So, being a follow-the-instructions kinda guy, I ordered a bottle. It showed up today, and being a I-cant-wait kinda guy, started on the kit once the boys went to bed.
Now herein lies the questions.
Has anyone used the Micro Weld?
Does it take forever to set?
Does it have a limited shelf life?
Am I doing something wrong?
I was holding parts together until my hands cramped up, then continued to hold them for ten more minutes and this stuff still did not set!!!:confused:
I am about to revert to Testors Liquid Cement, you know, old reliable that hasnt failed me yet on dozens of models...
Any help here is greatly appreciated!!!

LOL No, I gave up long before that. :)
I was talking to a fellow modeler at work today and he told me the Micro Weld can take up to 48 hours to set :eek:
Ill go with the Testors...

My weapon of choice when it comes to glueing plastics is Slaters MekPak.
The best I have ever used!

MekPak That sounds kind of like MEK - MethylEthylKetone which is a paint thinner and styrene solvent. The last I got was under $10.00 a quart at Menards. A quart is a lot of those 2 ounce bottles. :)

Tenax 7R man myself. There has been a lot of talk on other boards about Tenax and others being discontinued for EPA reasons. Inevitable I guess, works to good for the EPA not to ban it.

Tenax 7R is still available. Hobby shops and web sellers have it. Took me 5 minutes on the web to find supplies. 'Talk on boards' is unreliable.

Tenax 7R is still available. Hobby shops and web sellers have it. Took me 5 minutes on the web to find supplies. 'Talk on boards' is unreliable.

Yes I know, my local shop has it as does Walthers. My point was that it wouldn't surprise me at all if it was discontinued for EPA reasons. In my line of work they come out with new rules for us all the time. Some are totally ridiculous. And have no ultimate effect on the environment.

Back