Small layout suggestions

ndazzle

Well I bought some well cars, and just found out they are to large for my layout. :( Since the smallest diameter is 18" and the largest is 22", what types of cars and locos would be perfect for the layout? I hope the train shop can exchange them. Since I have all the packaging. :rolleyes:

If you're modeling diesel era, 40' or 50' freight cars max. Use 4 axles diesels as well. The cars and the 4-axle diesels won't look bad going around the tighter curves.

For steam, 2-8-0's, 4-6-0's, small 2-8-2's, 4-6-2's for enginnes. Stay with 36' (prior to around 1930) and 40' cars (for after then).

But remember, its your RR! You can mix and match things from different eras if you want.

Thanks for the tips. Some GP-38s would look cool. I was just wondering the size of the cars but 40' to 50' sound good. :)

Guess I'm a bad guy running 85' cars with 6axle power on 18" curves! Did I mention I have 15" curves where that power is banned? LOL.

Hey I found the problem. Its not the lenght of the cars. I have found out that the wheels are a little narrow compared to the another rail car I have for testing and its causing it do derail sometimes on the curve, so I need to find some trucks and wheels that fit better on the rails. :D
85' on 18" curves, :eek:

You can probably also use 50' cars as well. I know the Athearn cars work well on 18" radius. The 60' cars are hit or miss, some will, some won't. The ones I have the most problem with are the Genesis 60' cars. They're probably more prototypical, with prototypical truck swing.

Regarding your narrow wheels, perhaps measuring them with the NMRA gage would get them back into spec. If it's a truck problem (clearance), some judicious filing in the appropriate spots might help. But, I'd say try gaging the wheelsets first.

You might also loosen the truck mounting screw about a quarter turn,to give the truck a bit more play.

Kennedy

Ok I will try that. I think its how far the trucks turn, I loosen them up so they can turn a little bit more. These are 53' well cars so they should be cool on the 22 and 18 inch curves.

Ahh I found the problem. There was a section in the flextrack on a curve that caused the cars to derail at that point. I have replaced the curve with 18" curved sections and everything is smooth sailing.

ndazzle said:
Ahh I found the problem. There was a section in the flextrack on a curve that caused the cars to derail at that point. I have replaced the curve with 18" curved sections and everything is smooth sailing.

Also watch for kinks developing in your flex track at the joints, especially on tighter radius curves. The best defense for that is to solder the joints before bending the track, and be sure to replace the ties you had to remove to get the rail joiners on.

Those 53" well cars- are they 5-unit cars or singles?

Any pics of your layout to share?:)

Brent

Sorry for the late reply. Yes I have some photos of it. I have to post them. Actually I was still having issues with derails, so I had to change my layout plans to 2 bay hopper cars and use a cement operations theme. Now the cars go around with no issues. But still working on the layout.

Back