Slug it!

As im going to rebuild a p2k SW1200 to a slug unit i want your opinion: i know that a slug unit cant drive by themselves- should i remove the motor of the locomotive, or leave it as-is, as a drive locomotive?

I'd leave it in, as they still have traction motors, they just draw power from the Mate. Plus it'll give more yard pulling power.

My issue (with my Slug Trio) is that the body is not large enough to house a standard HO scale motor. I'm still debating between using two NWSL PDT's or an N scale motor.

I thought the slugs were quite short in height - would there actually be enough room for the motor and drive? As a "calf" yes, but as a "slug"?

Mark

wait.. the slug units body is the same body of the locomotive before they took the prime motor out, isnt?
You're probably thinking about the type of unit I named myself after, a road slug. AFAIK, only CSX has these; they are the bodies of former GP30s and GP35s with their prime movers removed, but they still have their cabs, controls, and dynamic brakes (as well as their traction motors).

slugs vary, some have 100% of the original body, some have some of it removed, some have totally new bodies built. Road slug vs "yard" slug normally refers to the speed at which the mother unit cuts power to the slug. SP had some road slugs, called TEBUs, with cut down bodies that are now used as RC masters in Houston's Englewood hump yard. But at one point they were used on the open road. They also served as fuel tenders for awhile. But they had no control stand, no cab.

What features (control stands, dynamics) a slug may have varies widely by and within a RR and don't make or break it as being a slug or not.

Back to the original question, in the model world there are no true slugs. You either have a powered unit (a regular motor or power trucks or whatever) or a non-powered unit (a dummy).

If you want to model a slug with a cut-down body (of any design), you are most likely going to make it as a dummy: no motor.

If you decide to model a slug with a larger body, either original or custom, you can leave the motor in place and benefit from the extra power.

It isn't practical to model a true slug where the mother unit provides just electricity to the slug's traction motors.

Last edited by a moderator:
AFAIK, only CSX has these; they are the bodies of former GP30s and GP35s with their prime movers removed, but they still have their cabs, controls, and dynamic brakes (as well as their traction motors).
Not for long. I am in the process of building a GP30 road slug with an undetermined mother unit.

There are many examples of slugs that retain the height and width of their original car body....some examples below. If you want a bit more power in your scale efforts then defintely leave the motor in the unit. Keep on sluggin'!!!

some A-line motors are small enough for this type of config. There are others out there...I willvget back with ya on it...

Back