Slip Coaches

If a slip coach is behind other coaches how was this accomplished ?
A train is chugging along at 55 mph destined for next station. Apparently there's a brakeman in a SC cab.. Is it like the outlawed practice in the US, 'switching on the fly', where cut lever is pulled, remaining car or cars continue coasting while switch is thrown so they pass on by the loco and its cars into another yard ladder track ? Video shows a couple of SCs but doesn't seem to actually show the activity, results, and virtue of this..What then becomes of the slipped coaches after filled ? How do they then continue on ? Is it merely so that extra long passenger trains can fit into a second platform track at same time as rest of train; enabling unboarding / boarding of riders at same time ?

Last edited by a moderator:
😪 I guess then I'll have to go to the principal's office, wear a dunce cap and serve detention for not understanding the lesson;
a lesson that was taught too briefly, illustrated too minimally, and spoken in a foreign dialect with terms unfamiliar to an American student such as myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
It would seem that this method was used to enable the forward part of the train, to save time in the total journey by not having to stop at the station served by the "slip coach/'s". That would mean that those coaches would be reserved for passengers only travelling to that stop. I dare say a train could be divided more than once with this method. Not much "cop" though if there were following trains. Later in the video, where it shows the coach drawing to a standstill at the platform, there appears to be a solo Loco, waiting on a siding. Maybe that was there to clear the coach from the mainline.

Back