SL-SF continued

AirbrushNo5

Finished the second Roundhouse car today..
IMG_8893.jpeg

More light cuts down the greenish cast these cars have…
View attachment 174988
Looks great, really love the sides. It looks just right to me.

I really like the roofs but I feel there might be 2 much white of the roof showing through. I prefer the type of roof weathering you have behind the car. On the Union RR of Oregon. I am definitely not criticizing as the roofs are very well done, just a preference to me.

Can you show the trucks and wheels and explain your method?

Hey Tom…
Thanks..

Re: roof weathering… I wanted these 2 cars to be somewhere between solid rust and maybe a spot or 2…
So that’s what I did…crazy thing is I had to go back and repaint one as the initial rust pattern was obviously symmetrical to both cars..which I didn’t notice til after the fact…

Re: trucks and wheels… lately I’ve been doing it the LAZY WAY.
remove the trucks, airbrush Tamiya grime mix on the spinning wheels..inner + outer faces, axles…airbrush same mix on trucks..
When I have time I will give the trucks a black brown oil wash..
Clean paint off wheel-track contact points with some IPA soaked paper towel laid over scrap of HO track on a piece of wood

Your cleaning of Tamiya paint booboos with thinner is a great idea.. I used this on one of the FRISCO cars to take down some overspray👍🏻

More light cuts down the greenish cast these cars have…

I’ve been meaning to ask you this, but it seems like a lot of your lighter-colored cars have a greenish cast to them. Your setting in which you take the photographs is an arid region with lots of tans, but does your room have green paint or some large green fixture, or drapes reflecting off a lot of green?

I don’t know where the green cast is coming from…everything picks it up
The lighting in the room sucks… it’s pot lights....former rec room that has been turned into storage…
For the photography, I am using 5 rechargeable 2000 lumen lights hanging from hooks on the ceiling

The green tint is usually caused by florescent lighting, there may be a colour correction "white balance" setting on the camera for taking photos in fluorescent light which will avoid the green cast, or a custom setting for white balance in atypical situations.

The green tint is usually caused by florescent lighting, there may be a colour correction "white balance" setting on the camera for taking photos in fluorescent light which will avoid the green cast, or a custom setting for white balance in atypical situations.
That's what I was thinking, too. What type of camera is it?

Hi guys,
I am taking the pics with an iPad mini…
my Canon DSLR I haven’t used since 2017…maybe I should try that..
Lighting source is mostly the 5 work lights (pic below)
I bought 3 packs of of these at Costco for $44 🇨🇦..each
Keep 1 as backup, when the charge runs out..charge lasts maybe 90 min on full…4hr recharge
They are handy and have a hook to hang from the rings I screwed in the drywall ceiling..
Typically I use 3 lights at a time to run trains, 5 for photos

Attachments

• IMG_8967.jpeg
    IMG_8967.jpeg
    463.5 KB · Views: 41

Back