Ski Train

yrusoslo

Ok all you Rio Grande Modelers. Has any manufacturer done the DRGW SKI TRAIN,in HO. I've been tring to find some equipment, but no luck. Thanks, Joe

Power shouldn't be a problem. They ran (in later years) D&RGW SD40-2Ts, GP40-2s, GP40s, and in earlier years, FTs and F7s and PAs. Their steam generator car was an Alco PB. Steam engines used included mallets, 2-8-0s, 4-8-4s and 2-8-2s. I'm sure other types were used. Passenger cars look like 2 eras also - the later smooth sides in orange & silver as well as the early heavyweights in pullman green (some of which were lettered "SKI-TRAIN"). After the SP/DRGW merger Southern Pacific power was used too.

Did you check Walthers for their D&RGW passenger cars?

I don't think there is anything specific - Bachmann makes a "Royal Gorge" set - but I have seen decals for the Ski Train. We took a ride on it a couple of years ago, and have some photos if you'd like...

For my ski train, I'm gonna get the Intermountain F7 AB w/sound and 8 D&RGW Passenger cars from Walthers. Yellow and Silver with stripes. I've found plenty of places that sells these. Haven't resorted to ebay yet.

Back