Size of heat shrink most often used in model railroads

railBuilderDhd

Hey guys,
I was looking at the heat shrink you can find on eBay and wanted to know what sizes user find they need the most. I would rather but 3 or 4 sizes and not a pack of all kinds of sizes. I'm thinking sizes 3/32, 3/64, and 1/16. Maybe 1/8 but would I need that size much?

Love to hear about what you folks use and what you don't use because it's not needed.

Thanks
Dave

I would go with the 1/8th inch. That will cover almost any gauge wire you use on the layout whether for track wiring or for accessory wiring and, as is obvious, it will shrink to fit smaller gauges.

Good info. Thanks for that but what about the finer wires like those on the locomotive for the decoder or LEDs?

Dave

That becomes a different matter. For such fine wiring you'd need smaller diameter shrink tubing. What that size would be I'll leave to some one more experienced; however, I would think trying to add shrink tubing to decoder wiring could be more trouble than it might be worth?

That becomes a different matter. For such fine wiring you'd need smaller diameter shrink tubing. What that size would be I'll leave to some one more experienced; however, I would think trying to add shrink tubing to decoder wiring could be more trouble than it might be worth?

I'm more thinking of the LEDs and use for shade you slip over the LED when installing light to keep light from leaking out. Also there may be times to use heat shrink on decoder installs. I just did an old blue box and it may have helped.

Dave

Most of the LED's we use are 1/8th (3mm) so a bit larger to slip over easier maybe, otherwise 1/8th would be probably the largest you would use on a regular basis, smaller ones for when just covering a joint between small wires (Decoder wires as you mentioned). The less you need to shrink the tubing, the better, less heat to apply for one thing, especially over resistors etc. I get mine from a local electronics parts store in about 36" lengths. Only need about 3 sizes.

I would not cover a whole length of decoder wire though as the shrink tubing becomes somewhat hard and wouldn't bend easily.

Back