Single dome tank car... era?

I see Athearn has this new run of single dome tank car. What are/were these used for and are they still used? Im into more modern era equipment and trying to decide if this would "fit in".

http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/mobile/Product.aspx?ProductCode=ATH-29290

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I'm sure others will correct me if I'm wrong, but they are no longer used or have been modified to no dome. There's a TON of tanker traffic in and out of Tulsa, and I've not seen a single dome sitting in the yards in these past three years.

From the posted photo of the model, I'm guessing that this is a late 1960s era car. Check the data on the car-that was my tip-off.

There are plenty of single dome tank cars running today; I see them every day on Bakken oil trains headed east. They are much larger than the car Athearn is rerunning. It depends on the commodity being hauled as to the type of tank car needed or used.

Photoman475

Last edited by a moderator:
From the posted photo of the model, I'm guessing that this is a late 1960s era car. Check the data on the car-that's was my tip-off.

There are plenty of single dome tank cars running today; I see them every day on Bakken oil trains headed east. They are much larger than the car Athearn is rerunning. It depends on the commodity being hauled as to the type of tank car needed or used.

Photoman475

That's definitely different from what I see around here. There are a ton of the type in this picture with the smaller fill points, but I haven't seen a full dome on a car anywhere. May very well depend on the railroad and region, I guess?

Sorting_tank_cars_on_the_Englewood_Hump_(5401636867).jpg

As I look closer at the model, it does have the modern CSX logo on it, so it is a modern tank car at least in paint, whenever the tank car was actually built. So if MTL is making an accurate model then it would indeed fit into your roster. That seems so odd to me that BNSF's yard in Tulsa would have none of the full-dome type anywhere, though. I mean, it's not like rail cars don't make their way all through the system. Strange.

I did do a little digging, and while I couldn't find that specific reporting number, it does seem that CSX equipment numbered in the 6x,xxx range are maybe all MOW equipment. At least anything that I have actually found is indeed MOW.

There many single dome cars, DOT-111 and DOT-112 still in use. Weather you see them or not depends on the need in your area. We have sulfur unit trains (BNSF) that go through my area on a daily basis all single domes. The domes may be of a different style than the one you show because it depends on what they are carrying and the internal pressure of the tank.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I think i will just hold off and find some newer Procor tank cars. I see a ton of those around here.

That style of tank car with the large dome and no safety rails, were long gone from revenue service when CSX was formed.
And even for MOW service they would have soon been obsolete for a class One railroad.

That style of tank car with the large dome and no safety rails, were long gone from revenue service when CSX was formed.
And even for MOW service they would have soon been obsolete for a class One railroad.

That's what I thought too, but these other guys are saying they're still out there. I personally can't find photographic evidence of that, nor are they coming through "oil-country" Oklahoma as far as I can tell. I'm a little mystified at this point.

Now there were some that had the same type tank body, but the dome was about half the size and a platform with railings was tried for a very shot time before the whole tank car style changed.

I stumbled on a few pictures of these cars, a couple of years ago. I have no idea where though.

That tank car is Athearn's older transition era single dome tanker and dates from the blue box days. It's use goes back quite a way. It is not modern era equipment, and the CSX lettering probably makes it a "foobie" Most tankers are owned by private companies, not necessarily the railroads. The dome is to allow for expansion, and the Athearn car shown has an incorrectly sized dome. it should be taller. They cheated and used the short dome from their triple dome tank car.

the problem isn't that it is single dome, it's the SIZE of that dome. Definitely old style, it also served as a manway for interior access. Modern manways are separate allowing the dome to be much smaller. Believe this style was common 40-60s.

I see Athearn has this new run of single dome tank car. What are/were these used for and are they still used? Im into more modern era equipment and trying to decide if this would "fit in".

http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/mobile/Product.aspx?ProductCode=ATH-29290

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Whoa, nice! I haven't seen one of these 'dome cars' in a long time! I'm not even sure if they are still in service or being used! Can anybody clarify this?

Cars of this type disappeared around 1974 or so. The various designs carried back to the 1920s.....ergo any Athearn model lettered for a modern railroad or lessor, is a foobie. Can't say whether or not the model is accurate, as it dates back to the "close enough" era. Prototype may well have been Lionel's Hi-rail O-31 tanker :rolleyes:. It's a believable rendition of a tank car found both before and after WW2.

Joe

It is a model of an actual car, a 10 or 12,000 tank car (can't remember which). Pretty close too except for the incorrect dome heighth. They are correct for the SP if you fix the dome.

I see them every time I go into my layout room! Of course, I am modelling the 1940's & '50's! :p Mostly they are Phillips 66 and CONOCO, although one is marked "Ewing Oil Co."! :cool: Can't recall where I bought it. But it is there.

Back