Single Decoder controlling motors in A-B consist, and 3 speakers

beiland

I have 2 sets AB of F-3's that I purchased from BLI long ago. Interestingly they have a connecting cable between the 2 units such that it appears as though there is a single ESU decoder controlling the motors on both units, and all 3 speakers. Is that true??

I have another AB set of PA that appear to have that same arrangement. I want to put a decoder in these that will accomplish the same thing,...run both motors and the 3 speakers..

Here are some reference photos of my locos,
https://forum.mrhmag.com/post/pa-locomotives-in-ho-help-identify-12693497?pid=1335660676

https://forum.mrhmag.com/post/pa-locomotives-in-ho-help-identify-12693497?pid=1335654119

Can you tell me how this was possible,..OR lead me to any link that might help me understand it??

Thanks, regards, Brian in St Augustine

DSCF9468.jpg

DSCF9469.jpg

DSCF9471.jpg

Power from the non decoder unit is routed through to the decoder and then back to the 2nd unit's motor and speaker via the mini-plug, its a neat idea.

I "think" they stopped doing this because it was too easy to exceed the current rating of the decoder with two motors in two heavy locomotives. You'd need a decoder with at least a 2 amp rating, possibly higher.

I "think" they stopped doing this because it was too easy to exceed the current rating of the decoder with two motors in two heavy locomotives. You'd need a decoder with at least a 2 amp rating, possibly higher.
True, although it's a neat idea, I'd rather use a second non sound decoder, and speed match the two, and either use them as a consist or just have both with the same address and use the sound decoder to power the second unit's speaker via the cable.

True, although it's a neat idea, I'd rather use a second non sound decoder, and speed match the two, and either use them as a consist or just have both with the same address and use the sound decoder to power the second unit's speaker via the cable.
I think I see 21 pin connections in both engines. A Loksound 5 in one, and a Lokpilot 5 in the other, and remove the bridging cables for the motor control.

Back