Signals

rzw0wr

Newbie Switchman
My next project on my layout is signals.
My layout is the transition period.

My layout is very free lance.
MY layout is computer operated.

From the internet I see that railroads used different signals in different ways.

What I would like to know is where can I find what signals were used in the 40s and 50s.
Did railroads use signals in their switching yards?
Dwarf or something other?
Is there a generic type of signal?

I am looking for something that looks old time and has lights.

Thanks,
Dale

Hi Dale,

I used B&O style signals because I liked the look - the make use of both color (red, yellow, green) and position.

For my yards I used a simple 3 aspect dwarf (red, yellow, green).

My signals were all from Tomar.

If you are willing to deal with the more complicated installation you could use lighted semaphores.

Frederick

Dale
Do a Google search for railroad signals, both prototype & model. There's many types of signals & signal aspects depending on the many different RRs. There's also many different types available from model makers. So find the type of signals you like & follow that.
From my experience as a conductor there's very few if any signals in yards just ones for entering & exiting same. Most signaling in yards is done by hand signals by day & lanterns by night.

At some point in the last 20 or so years, there was a book called Railroad Signaling, by Brian Solomon (Copyright 2003, & 2010, Voyaguer Press), which has lots of photos. Another 'oldie but goodie,' was put out years ago by Kalmbach, named 'All About Signals,' which I think was a reprint of some articles on prototype practices, written as a 'Trains,' article, perhaps, about the '50's or 60's.' You might find either on ebay, or in the 'Bookstore' tab on this site. 'All About Signals,' showed all indications as semaphores, which took some consideration, to translate it into 'modern' practice when I got a copy of the book, in the 1970's. There have been some additions to signaling practices since then, but 'AAS' will give you an understanding of 'the basics.' After that, it somewhat depends on which rr you're modeling, as how they implemented things.

As for model railroad signaling, there have been many series of articles over the years, in terms of how to approach prototype signal aspect modeling, interlockings, and power control. I'll leave it to others to discuss some of these.

From the internet I see that railroads used different signals in different ways.

Most people mean "block signals" when they talk about signals.

There are two basic ways signals are set up. Automatic block signals (ABS or APB) and CTC. The physical signals are arranged differently and operated differently.

There are interlocking signals that only apply to the interlocking limits.

Did railroads use signals in their switching yards?

Generally never, especially in the transition era. Signals were on the main track. Switches would have a switch target on the switch stand that would indicate which direction the switch was lined. But color light signals, no.

Most modelers don't end up with a real signal system since to do it right you need 2-3 train lengths between the ends of the sidings to make them work correctly. Most end up with glorified switch indicators.

Back