Side stake size

I changed one over for use as a log carrier but all I used for the stakes was some wooden match sticks, stained and cut to length.

I changed one over for use as a log carrier but all I used for the stakes was some wooden match sticks, stained and cut to length.

Yeah I thought about doing the same but didn't figure that I could make the matchsticks look enough like steel. How did it come out?

Well I didn't try to make mine look like steel just wooden stakes on the sides of the car to prevent roll off during loading and unloading. Here is a couple of pics of the car. Sorry the one is a bit blurry. The car already had some pockets on the sides so I just used some super glue and stained match sticks. I used every other pocket so there wasn't to many.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dave, you need to measure against a known dimension.

For example, the wheels should be 33" diameter.

The photo is not straight side-on, so it's a little skewed, but comparing the closest post to the nearby wheel, it looks about 1/4 the diameter of the wheel. So about 8".

The side sill of the car is probably 12".

It sure does but I think i'm going to stick with plastic because it's easier to make it look like steel.

So:

8"x 8" huh? Divided by 87 is .091"

So either this:
http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/pls/pls90770.htm
(a little big at .1")

or this:
http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/pls/pls90760.htm
(a little small at .08")

Would a little big or a little small look better for the application?

Evergreen also sells their styrene in correct sizes for HO. Ex, you need an 8x8 square tube, they would have 2 sizes listed on the pack, what the size actually is, and what that size is in HO. They do this with their strip stock in N, HO, & O.

Evergreen also sells their styrene in correct sizes for HO. Ex, you need an 8x8 square tube, they would have 2 sizes listed on the pack, what the size actually is, and what that size is in HO. They do this with their strip stock in N, HO, & O.

There's no exact match for an 8x8 but pretty close.

Gee, and I thought there would be. They sell most of their stuff marked this way.

Eh, I ended up getting the .1 stuff. It's just a .09 difference which is pretty close. Just to be safe though I also ordered some .08 as well so I can compare them on the cars and see which one looks better.

Back