siberianmo's Can-Am Train Room, Part I

siberianmo

Trains - real and model - trains!
Ahoy MRR Enthusiasts!

This is my inaugural entire into posting fotos from my former basement Can-Am Train Room.

I will begin with fotos from my HO layout (35 ft in length; most width's 7 ft with one at 15 ft).
The layout was a walk-around with the intent being to prevent viewing it all from one vantage point.

It was called the Can-Am Railway featuring Amtrak & VIA Rail passenger trains along with CN and CP freights.
The main runs (oval-in-oval) were "on the level" although there was the "feeling" of elevation thanks to the manner in which scenery played a part.

The upper level (or mountain run) featured VIA Rail and BC Rail RDC's on a point-to-point run.

There was an add-on Subway system beneath a portion of the layout at Can-Am City which utilized NYCity Transit cars of the Red-Bird variety (red & brown 4-car consists). This ran about 8x7 ft in oval-in-oval arrangement with automatic stop/start at Union Station.

Can-Am City featured the joining of Amtrak & VIA Rail (think: Toronto & Vancouver) with a Union Station complex accommodating eight (08) passenger platforms.

While hardly intended to be anywhere close to professionally constructed, the idea was to create in miniature that which my late-wife and I experienced during many, many rail trips (all in bedroom accommodations) in the U.S. and Canada. The many scenes around the walk-around brought back fond memories of our travels; which was the intent.

Construction materials consisted of eight (08) 4x8 ft 1" thick plywood boards, topped by 1" foam insulation boards.
The plywood was cut into 4x4 sections with folding metal card -table legs. All sections were bolted together at the facia using metal bolts, washers & nuts.

Track was Bachmann EZ track with grey roadbed along with many turnouts and sidings w/bumpers. I had wanted to use KATO, but the selections were very limited at the time for HO; much more for N - which I used for that layout.

Power was provided thru four (04) Model Rectifier power packs enabling me to operate four (04) trains independently.

Wiring was done the "old fashioned" way with insulated rail-joiners, many toggle switches, etc. Bottom line: It all worked to my satisfaction!

Now to the fotos of the "never" finished product:

(Part II to follow . . .)

Enjoy!

Tom in Missouri

Attachments

• IMG_0099.jpg
    IMG_0099.jpg
    664.7 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0100.jpg
    IMG_0100.jpg
    630.5 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0101.jpg