Shipping Constructed Buildings

ianacole

I've finished the Suydam Roundhouse for a fellow enthusiast and now I need to ship it. Anyone have any experience with or suggestions for shipping a relatively fragile kit?

Thanks!

Ian

pack it very well, and have it marked as fragile by the shipping company. It cost more, but it wont go through all the machines getting tossed around and sorted

Lots and lots of peanuts in an oversize box.

As well as the peanuts & over sized box (about twice the size of the model) which I recommend also, there are packing materials that really are just bags of air (about 6"x4") in polythene, you normally buy them in strips but I don't know for the life of me what their called lol..
Use these round the outside walls of the box including the top & bottom with a bit of tape as peanuts do move and can end up being on top of the model with the model falling through to the bottom of the box...

Depending on how valuable / fragile the building is really affects how it's packaged. When we ship completed structures, we use the two inch white styrafoam and cut it with a hot foam knife to perfectly fit the structure - much like the old foam cradles engines came packaged it. This ensures there will be very little or no movement inside the box.

Loose material (peanuts) will shift in transport possibly causing the building to shift to the outside edge of the box. You can jam peanuts up tight against the structure like you can an engine box, etc.

Those air bags ? - had many packages show up where they've somehow gotten poked and deflated leaving the item inside free to float around.

Lastly - no matter how you pack it, assume it's going to be handled roughly .... no matter how many fragile stickers you put on it (I seriously think those fragile stickers entice the guys on the loading docks to see just how fragile it really is !)

If you're comfortable enough with your packaging to toss it across the room - you shouldn't have any problem. Things DO get dropped off of trucks, conveyor belts, etc.

If it takes you an hour to package it properly and half an hour for the next guy to unwrap it, fine - at least it will be in one piece. There's no such thing as overpacking.

Mark.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks all! Mark, I was thinking along your lines - getting some block styrofoam and cutting to shape. Then I will box that, then add it to a larger box with peanuts around that. Hopefully it will survive the trip from Colorado to Indiana...

I'm primarily concerned about the doors:
DSC00504.JPG

and the interior uprights:
DSC00475.JPG

That looks great Ian. Nice work.

Indiana is not that far. But I would NOT ship UPS. They are notorious for drop kicking packages around the country. LOL

Go with FedEx.

Lastly - no matter how you pack it, assume it's going to be handled roughly .... no matter how many fragile stickers you put on it (I seriously think those fragile stickers entice the guys on the loading docks to see just how fragile it really is !)

This is so true. I've worked in the post office and no matter what the package is marked they all seem to get handled to roughly. Many clerks just don't care and are in a hurry to get done. Good service just doesn't happen these days.

The way you're packing it is probably the best way to go. Solid around the model with a soft buffer that can take some hits.

Many years ago I sold a few small craftsman type kits on eBay (FSM). I made styrofoam pieces to snugly fit around them, so they would not be disturbed by outside forces.

Still had problems, kits arrived damaged. The problem? The kits had many white metal detail castings inside that were attached with CA glue. The rough handling caused these relatively heavy parts to come loose and bang around inside, taking other parts with them. A lesson learned!

Nothing was actually broken, and I refunded the buyers some of their payments so they'd repair the models themselves.

Back