Shelf layouts

River Run

Diesel Detailer
I've always liked shelf layouts. My last two were shelf layouts. As I'm over 6 feet tall I build mine high, my last one being upwards of 68 inches. I enjoyed the part by part Shelf Layout articles in recent Moder Railroader issues, and I think I'm going to follow Josh's lead and build a small switching layout in my computer room along the walls. My room is only 10' x 8', so I'm kind of restricted. Anyone else here like shelf layouts?

*I do!* You should know that...

So anything specific planned, or, just want something to run?

I like them to, makes a great use of space considering you can run one over a desk or work area.

Giving the center of the room freedom to show it off to others with.

My next layout will be built on a 12" wide shelf around the basement family room 15 X 20 on 3 walls. I will place it 5'-6" from the floor useing a decrotive metal bracket to go with the decore of the room. I'm going to attach 1/4" masionte to the back for the back drop. Plans are for a HO/HOn3 logging switching layout steam to diesl era. Going to use SP hand-me downs and Shay's.
It is the only way I will get to have a layout in the house and it took a lot to get that much space.

*I do!* You should know that...

So anything specific planned, or, just want something to run?

Well, looking at the River Run map,
RiverRunLogo.gif
I'm thinking of modeling the Brick Plants in the Sugarcreek area. A few years ago in the "Real World", this was where you would board the Passenger Excursions on the Ohio Central. Now you guys know why I also model N&W. After the 1964 NKP/WABASH/N&W/P&WV Merger, the area I model became the domain of the Norfolk & Western. My approach is that as a condition of the merger in 1964, the ICC granted ownership of the former W&LE/NKP Zaneville Line to River Run Ohio based River Run Railway, because one of the other conditions of the merger granted the N&W ownership of the Sandusky to Columbus line of the Pennsylvania Railroad. The Norfolk & Western would have interchange and limited trackage rights over the Zanesville Line at Brewster, and the River Run has interchange at Justus and trackage rights to Bellevue Ohio. Thus there would be a competing North/South line. Alas, Jerry Jacobson's Ohio Central would have never happened.

run4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I definately prefer the the shelf layout going around the perimeter walls. I love having the center of the room free. Mine is about 50 inches high and 24 inches wide.

Larry

Shelf layouts are great.
When I started this current layout, it was designed as a shelf layout.
Its at the deepest 24", the upper deck only 18".

If I had smaller space, I would do a simple switching layout.

My local hobby shop, we are building a 2'x16' switching layout in the store.
I like doing that stuff.

Back