Shelf Layout Ideas

402drvr

Hi guys, I just buiolt a bookshelf for my wife in the basement and wouldn't you know it there was plenty of room to put a shelf under that but we ran out of books. Looks like I have a place to start a little layout. I have never designed a shelf layout and am looking for ideas. I saw a guy ask for some plans from you guys before and the plans all looked great. So if anyone has a few extra minutes I would love to see what you come up with. I will post my design if I ever decide on one.

Benchwork dimensions starting on the left. The shelf goes 12 ft and then a peninsula comes out six feet. It is two feet wide and the goes back to the wall. The shelf proceeding right will be six inches deep and five feet long terminating at the right wall. It will eventually go through the wall to join the main layout.

That tis the basic dimension I have to work with. The peninsula section will have to be easily removable as it will be sitting on the new bartop I am supposed to tile and install.

So the idea for the layout is a basic little switching operation. The main will go through a wall on the right end and eventually cross over the main line of my future CSX layout to a yard. This yard will connect to the main layout. This will represent a small branch line. The only major requirement I have is that the layout incorporate a scene where coal cars could be filled. These will later supply my coal plant on the main layout if it ever comes to fruition. The minimum track radius will be 18" but larger where possible and the minimum turnout will be #4 but again larger where feasible. the layout will be DCC with all switches thrown by hand. Mostly small switching locos will be used along with a 45 tonner.

Thanks for any ideas.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys, I just buiolt a bookshelf for my wife in the basement and wouldn't you know it there was plenty of room to put a shelf under that but we ran out of books. Looks like I have a place to start a little layout. I have never designed a shelf layout and am looking for ideas. I saw a guy ask for some plans from you guys before and the plans all looked great. So if anyone has a few extra minutes I would love to see what you come up with. I will post my design if I ever decide on one.

Benchwork dimensions starting on the left. The shelf goes 12 ft and then a peninsula comes out six feet. It is two feet wide and the goes back to the wall. The shelf proceeding right will be six inches deep and five feet long terminating at the right wall. It will eventually go through the wall to join the main layout.

That tis the basic dimension I have to work with. The peninsula section will have to be easily removable as it will be sitting on the new bartop I am supposed to tile and install.

So the idea for the layout is a basic little switching operation. The main will go through a wall on the right end and eventually cross over the main line of my future CSX layout to a yard. This yard will connect to the main layout. This will represent a small branch line. The only major requirement I have is that the layout incorporate a scene where coal cars could be filled. These will later supply my coal plant on the main layout if it ever comes to fruition. The minimum track radius will be 18" but larger where possible and the minimum turnout will be #4 but again larger where feasible. the layout will be DCC with all switches thrown by hand. Mostly small switching locos will be used along with a 45 tonner.

Thanks for any ideas.

The attached link is a shelf layout from Kurt in Germany. This is Kurts version of Lance Mindheim's Miami "East Rail" layout. Unfortunately, Kurt has removed this shelf layout to pursue a different course, but the link has some nice ideas. Kurt is a master modeler in Germany and as a result, all his structures are scratch built using various techniques. If nothing else it is visually appealing to look at and a good tutorial on "how to".

There is also a link to Lance Mindheim's East Rail.

Larry

http://www.the-gauge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=169&hilit=kurt&start=300

http://www.lancemindheim.com/progress_photos.htm

Search for "shelf layout" in your browser or Google & you'll get a slew of sites w/ layout plans. You can even add your scale to the search.

I have a layout drawn but can't figure out how to get it from Xtrkcad on MAC and post it here. Anyone know how?

I have a layout drawn but can't figure out how to get it from Xtrkcad on MAC and post it here. Anyone know how?

I think you have to export the file to a .jpg file. And then upload that to your online photo site. Or you might try just a file save as.

Yeah I used to be able to get that to work on the windows version. I have since changed over to a MAC and the MAC version leaves a lot to be desired. I had to load the car inventory about five times to make it work. Same with the track inventory. Now that the cars are loaded I can't drag them from the menu onto the layout. I am sure there is a way that I am totally missing but this version is not as intuitive as the windows version.

I really like being able to run trains to get an idea of any difficulties that may occur. Oh well. Will try to post something to get some opinions. Don't wanna start laying track before I get a little feedback from some of you wise old heads.

Back