Selling 1980’s Marklin trains

Moverton

I have a set of marklin trains. Used very rarely but not new. I know little about them but want to sell them.
what’s the best way to get a decent price for them. I don’t care about getting top retail but don’t want to just take whatever some local store offers without knowing if it’s fair.
just not sure where to start.

Look on Ebay and see what they are getting in the "completed" "sold" listings . That will give you an idea as to the "liquid" cash value is . keep it mind the net to the seller is about 15% less after commission and fees.
If you list it with a website with no fees , A little less than the "sold" listings , if you want to move it. The higher you are above that the longer it will take to move it , if at all .

Another gauge is to look at the original box price , while not always accurate , it does give you some place to start . If its over 20 years old or if production has ceased , Then it may sell at a premium to the box price.

Just remember the store has to make money , so they have to buy at a substantial discount usually.

@GeeTee thanks. I looked a few up on eBay but I didn’t see any sold. I think they only let you look back a few months.
yeah, I was in retail years ago. I understand their need to make a profit. I’d assume they need to offer probably 40% of retail to survive. I’d just like to try and avoid that much of a cut.
I was curious if there are online forums or other avenues with collectors that might have a used listing section. With guitars (which I know a lot better) I knew of a few forums that worked well for selling and trading.

We have a dedicated section here on the forum for buying and selling. You can give that a try. It’s a place to start.

Back