Seething, Ill. A Rock Island Yard in HO

RIGuyUK

HI

Welcome to my layout thread

My layout is named Seething, Ill. and is based somewhere in Chicago, set in 1976. ish. It is 9ft long and 15in wide. The trackwork is Peco Streamline Code 75 with the switches heavily modified to improve reliability and appearance. Control is by NCE DCC and the switches are powered by servos.

The layout represents part of a yard in an urban area, so is dominated by large buildings. I've attached a couple of photo's to show how I hope it will look in time (November actually, as its been invited to a trainshow!)

PXL_20230309_153551752.jpg
PXL_20230309_153050230.jpg

The building fronts and bridge are just placed to get an idea of how I want it to look, and is subject to much change!

The factory buildings I am designing myself, and will be produced using a Cricut cutter. They will closely resemble some Walthers kits though!

The layout was originally built as a UK Industrial yard, but disillusionment with modelling UK outline pushed me to build a long dreamed of US layout.

I'll keep updating this thread with progress over the next few months, though it may be slow going!

Please feel free to pass on any advice and ask any questions!

Looks fantastic!!! Please detail your process with the Circut. Most will find it very educational.
Thanks Mike

I'll update on the Cricut too, its a very steep learning curve, having never done any CAD before. Being in the UK its a cost effective way of producing large structures rather than relying on Walthers kits. I like Walthers kits but they do end up expensive when you need a good few - I'd rather spend that on stock for the layout! Not that I need any more loco's (10) or cars (60+)!

So far I've worked out that the structures will need to be built in 3 layers, for strength and relief. Using foamcore for the basic outline, thick card for the external framework, topped with thin plastic card to overlay the previously cut card, that will give a good base to apply paint to. Embossed brick plastic card can be used to fill in areas between the external frame work, or below windows etc etc.

As I say, its a very steep learning curve, but very interesting, the images below are the result of a test CAD and cutting session with foamcore.

IMG_20230308_212048266[1].jpg
IMG_20230308_212154109[1].jpg
IMG_20230308_212224734[1].jpg

More to come in future!

HI

Welcome to my layout thread

My layout is named Seething, Ill. and is based somewhere in Chicago, set in 1976. ish. It is 9ft long and 15in wide. The trackwork is Peco Streamline Code 75 with the switches heavily modified to improve reliability and appearance. Control is by NCE DCC and the switches are powered by servos.

The layout represents part of a yard in an urban area, so is dominated by large buildings. I've attached a couple of photo's to show how I hope it will look in time (November actually, as its been invited to a trainshow!)

View attachment 163831View attachment 163830

The building fronts and bridge are just placed to get an idea of how I want it to look, and is subject to much change!

The factory buildings I am designing myself, and will be produced using a Cricut cutter. They will closely resemble some Walthers kits though!

The layout was originally built as a UK Industrial yard, but disillusionment with modelling UK outline pushed me to build a long dreamed of US layout.

I'll keep updating this thread with progress over the next few months, though it may be slow going!

Please feel free to pass on any advice and ask any questions!
Looks like a great plan. May I ask what your disillusionment was with modelling UK outline? I'm curious if it is the same thing that disillusioned me which was mainly substandard locomotives that could not run at anything like slow speed and generally lasted about 12 months before having major issues - predominantly Hornby equipment.

Looks like a great plan. May I ask what your disillusionment was with modelling UK outline? I'm curious if it is the same thing that disillusioned me which was mainly substandard locomotives that could not run at anything like slow speed and generally lasted about 12 months before having major issues - predominantly Hornby equipment.
Hi

I never had any problems with any stock at all, it was more the modelling community on various forums, nothing was good enough, everything you said was shot down, every project you worked on was torn apart in a non-helpful way. All by the same people on the different forums, who funnily enough never shared photos of what they were doing. Those attitudes have completely turned me away from doing any UK outline modelling again.

The folk on this forum seem a good bunch, I've noticed that derogatory comments seem to get taken down which is great. No matter how experienced a person is, they can always learn from others

I never had any problems with any stock at all, it was more the modelling community on various forums, nothing was good enough, everything you said was shot down, every project you worked on was torn apart in a non-helpful way. All by the same people on the different forums, who funnily enough never shared photos of what they were doing. Those attitudes have completely turned me away from doing any UK outline modelling again.
Also one of my disillusions with OO, (I'm in the process of switching from OO to HO ). I don't mind helpful criticism, criticising someones work just for the sake of it is definitely not helpful, and don't give you any helpful tips for going forward, and as you've said, they rarely display their work for others to criticise.

Between that and the lack of to me, quality models in OO, with really only two main brands Bachmann and Hornby to chose from, it certainly lacks the variety you find in HO scale, although Accurascale seem to be heading in the right direction concerning quality and price, but they are still a relatively small player at the moment, and nearly all they have Loco wise is pre-order with a -+2yr wait, but I do have one on order, so I'll see how they fair in comparison.

As I said apart from the variety that is lacking in OO (apart from the livery, they're all the same models, which is true in HO, but there is far more of them to chose from, unless your modelling a particular era or RR) is the value for money aspect, I have a US SD90 on order from a company in the UK with sound, lights etc. for £316, Hornby's 100th anniversary Flying Scotsman is £320 DCC ready, I know, one's a steamer and the other is diesel, so what, Hornby can't add classification light's or add at least sound to it, to make it stand out from other versions. Even Accurascale's Class 37 which I have on order with them is only £260, with sound and lights, so why carry on modeling UK stuff, when, to me, you can get better quality and variety for less £ in HO. And yes, although I said I'm switching to HO, there are certain OO Steamers and Diesel's I will keep, and run, after all it's my railway, I can run whatever I like. :)

As for this Forum, simply the best forum I have come across, friendly, funny, helpful in more ways than you can imagine, as I know you'll find out, even when you totally screw up a project (and I have, more than once) great help, tips and suggestions to get you back on track. And of course everyone is willing to help, the mantra on this forum, "there is no dumb question, only the one you didn't ask". So if there is something you want to know, no matter what it is, ask, these guys are brilliant.

That's my 10p's worth, or should it be a £1, or maybe a $1, anyway, and again, welcome to the forum, and enjoy.

Also one of my disillusions with OO, (I'm in the process of switching from OO to HO ). I don't mind helpful criticism, criticising someones work just for the sake of it is definitely not helpful, and don't give you any helpful tips for going forward, and as you've said, they rarely display their work for others to criticise.

Between that and the lack of to me, quality models in OO, with really only two main brands Bachmann and Hornby to chose from, it certainly lacks the variety you find in HO scale, although Accurascale seem to be heading in the right direction concerning quality and price, but they are still a relatively small player at the moment, and nearly all they have Loco wise is pre-order with a -+2yr wait, but I do have one on order, so I'll see how they fair in comparison.

As I said apart from the variety that is lacking in OO (apart from the livery, they're all the same models, which is true in HO, but there is far more of them to chose from, unless your modelling a particular era or RR) is the value for money aspect, I have a US SD90 on order from a company in the UK with sound, lights etc. for £316, Hornby's 100th anniversary Flying Scotsman is £320 DCC ready, I know, one's a steamer and the other is diesel, so what, Hornby can't add classification light's or add at least sound to it, to make it stand out from other versions. Even Accurascale's Class 37 which I have on order with them is only £260, with sound and lights, so why carry on modeling UK stuff, when, to me, you can get better quality and variety for less £ in HO. And yes, although I said I'm switching to HO, there are certain OO Steamers and Diesel's I will keep, and run, after all it's my railway, I can run whatever I like. :)

As for this Forum, simply the best forum I have come across, friendly, funny, helpful in more ways than you can imagine, as I know you'll find out, even when you totally screw up a project (and I have, more than once) great help, tips and suggestions to get you back on track. And of course everyone is willing to help, the mantra on this forum, "there is no dumb question, only the one you didn't ask". So if there is something you want to know, no matter what it is, ask, these guys are brilliant.

That's my 10p's worth, or should it be a £1, or maybe a $1, anyway, and again, welcome to the forum, and enjoy.
I agree the 4mm OO market is quite limited with choice, where are all the MU's?! Price wise it is what it is unfortunately, with the rising costs of everything involved in producing models these days along with what is quite a niche market. As you say Accurascale are doing things the right way, lots of variation at a good price, one of my friends has a few of their 92's and some wagons and they really are very very good value.

But I also agree that the value for money with US outline stock is very good, especially pre-owned. Today I received an Athearn Genesis GP38-2 in new condition, I dont think it has seen track, for a grand total of £64 including SD postage.

Anyway, back to the core subject of a great forum and US Railroading! I'm fortunate that my sister lives in Utah and is my 'fence' for buying small detail items. She orders what I need, gets them delivered to her own address then sends them on to myself at a much reduced postage rate. I've found a couple of dealers who have low shipping, and in particular with Decals K4 Pacific are great. Very low shipping and very fast service. I ordered a few packs of decals from them the same day I ordered from Fox here in the UK (to decal up a few DMU shells Im doing for a friend), not only did they arrive quicker, but the postage was cheaper!

One thing I am struggling with is road vehicles, does anyone have any pointers to suitable late 60's/early-mid 70's examples in HO, apart from Oxford Diecast?

I saw your new RI Loco, very nice, that seller quite often has some nice HO stuff, one of my saved sellers, I did put a bid in for yours but forgot when it ended.

There are a couple of members here who have very kindly sent me HO stuff, if you do want spares look at these guys https://www.amainhobbies.com/

But you are kinda stuck with Oxford, there aren't many manufacturers in the UK so unless you go across to the EU websites that's about it really

Hi

The folk on this forum seem a good bunch, I've noticed that derogatory comments seem to get taken down which is great. No matter how experienced a person is, they can always learn from others
I must say Joe, I have not had much to do with the UK forums but when it comes to this forum, you couldn't ask for a nicer and more supportive group of members. My hat is off to you all.

Looking forward to more posts on your new layout Joe.

Unfortunately Joe, every forum, no matter where they are located or what they are about, has an eliment of "prima donna's" who seem to believe they are the B All and End All of what ever the forum is about. I have found; however, that the majority of people involved in this hobby are much more down to earth and considerate or one another. That may have something to do with the "age factor" or those who are in this hobby compared to say, a Harely Davidson forum :)

I was/am a member of a UK N Scale forum and I found the majority of other members to be great; however, there were one or two who seemed to "dominate" and seemed intent on being overly critical and argumentitive, so much so that it made participating miserable.

Back