Seattle Area

arshmr11

Hello everybody!

I have been in and out of model railroading most of my life. I’m finally building my own large layout in my garage. I have a 10’ x 25’ loft in my garage. I’ve selected HO scale after a long debate with myself between HO or N.
I’d like to also meeting other railroad enthusiasts is my area and possibly have an operating session.

Welcome to the forum Sounds like a nice size space Do you have any sort of track plans yet or still in planning stage

Welcome to the forum Sounds like a nice size space Do you have any sort of track plans yet or still in planning stage
I am in the processes of a track plan. It is about 75% complete. I am modeling from Boeing/Mukilteo/Snohomish or Monroe.

The part that I am hung up is what industry to put in the Snohomish/Monroe part of the layout. I want to be prototypical but those industries are pretty limiting on the kind of cars to be spotted. I was thinking agriculture co-op but am on the fence.

I had a friend who built his layout over his garage. It never occurred to him that the 2x4 floor support wasn't sufficient to hold more than two people.

I had a friend who built his layout over his garage. It never occurred to him that the 2x4 floor support wasn't sufficient to hold more than two people.
This space is a loft, it was designed to have several people in it at the same time. If it was just in the attic, I could understand the weak floor support.

I am in the processes of a track plan. It is about 75% complete. I am modeling from Boeing/Mukilteo/Snohomish or Monroe.

The part that I am hung up is what industry to put in the Snohomish/Monroe part of the layout. I want to be prototypical but those industries are pretty limiting on the kind of cars to be spotted. I was thinking agriculture co-op but am on the fence.
There is/was a cold storage building West of Monroe that had railroad access. Also, downtown Monroe still has a spur although I am not sure if it was to a dock only for unload/load on/in to box or flats. Snohomish has a lumber spur, and there used to be a wye that heads South toward Carnation and IIRC continued on to Snoqualmie Falls. Google Earth shows that South extension as pretty much non-existant now days. Not much East of Monroe until Goldbar where there still is an industrial siding pretty much for the railroad only and there was at one time a major lumber yard except I don't remember any tracks across SR 2: I was there 1987 to 1995, then Everett until 2004. I don't know your era so you may have to find some old maps of the area to see what you can see.

Later

There is/was a cold storage building West of Monroe that had railroad access. Also, downtown Monroe still has a spur although I am not sure if it was to a dock only for unload/load on/in to box or flats. Snohomish has a lumber spur, and there used to be a wye that heads South toward Carnation and IIRC continued on to Snoqualmie Falls. Google Earth shows that South extension as pretty much non-existant now days. Not much East of Monroe until Goldbar where there still is an industrial siding pretty much for the railroad only and there was at one time a major lumber yard except I don't remember any tracks across SR 2: I was there 1987 to 1995, then Everett until 2004. I don't know your era so you may have to find some old maps of the area to see what you can see.

Later
I am doing modern which for this area is a little limiting. I like the lumber yard but as I said the car selection to spot there is pretty limited.

Back