Sean's Layout

need2drag

Well, I figured since I finally got to start working on my "simple" layout for my son, I would actually start a thread on it, rather than the "layout on hold" thread. As I do new things I will post up on it, as well as post pics. Everyone will get to see this layout form beginning to end. Keep in mind I have decided to do this layout without an actual plan. I know people say to make a plan before you start, but being that this is just a small layout for my son, I really don't need to go totally crazy with it. At some point in time I will have to move it, so I don't want to do so much that it gets ridiculously heavy.
This pic shows the table I made for the layout
101_2140.png

This pic shows the pile of track I am working with
101_2144.png

Being that this part of the track was so close I figured I better make something to protect the trains in case of derailment.
100_2268.png

This one shoes the beginning stages of some hills and where the gap is will be a small river that comes through the layout.
100_2305.png

These next to just show where I added on to the hills to make them look a little more realistic. I still have to get plaster to form them to my desired shape, but you can get an idea of what they will look like in the end. In the first pic you can see where I drew some lines to give me a rough idea of where the river will run.
100_2306.png

100_2307.png

Since the river will run under the track where it is not elevated I am going to slowly chisel away a small layer of the board to make it seem a little more realistic. I have a great plan for the bridge on the non-elevated track that I found in an old Model Railroader magazine. I will utilize a flatbed car to construct the bridge. Feel free to comment or even criticize anything you see. I will take everything in stride, and hopefully get this layout well on it's way to completion. Of course everyone knows that a layout is never totally complete. lol Hope everyone enjoys.

The funny thing is he already does. Every day I have to set the track in place so he can see it run. Once I get the plaster down, and the river done, I will be able to set the track down and leave it. Everything after that doesn't require me to move the track.

Depending on how old your son is, you might want to consider showing him how to do it and let him participate. I started out showing my son how to and now he does about 80% of the work. :D

He is only 2 so that won't work. When we get a house that has enough room for me to build a more permanent layout he will probably be old enough then. I would love to have him help me, but right now that won't work. Thanks for the advice though.

It looks like you've got some track down so porgress is being made. Like I said before, don't burn down the layout with that candle. :)

hahaha, yeah I won't. Honestly the only reason it is there anymore, is because the wife didn't like it sitting on the washer and dryer. lol I feel I am making some good progress. I should have to rest of the river chiseled out tomorrow or Sunday. Hopefully I can get some plaster in the next couple days.

The funny thing is he already does. Every day I have to set the track in place so he can see it run. Once I get the plaster down, and the river done, I will be able to set the track down and leave it. Everything after that doesn't require me to move the track.

I can relate. My son (2 years old also) and I have a circle of track set up to watch while we work on "the big train". Kills me when he calls my N guage BIG.

Wow, work with you son all you can. On a visit home a number of years ago my 21 year old son expressed an interest in a father and son layout, so we sat on the porch and drew diagrams for a 4x8, and his was the design we chose. We built it, and now years later our grandsons want to run trains on it when they come. My son even bought some old Atlas gp-30's that didn't run and so we bought some kato motors and re-motored those so they run great. It's been very satisfying to have a son involved, so keep yours going and you'll have a partner later on with the same interests for a great relationship.

oh yeah I will definitely keep my son into it. As far as coming along..........well right now it is not coming a long. I am waiting to get some funds together so I can get back to working on it. Thank god gas has gone down so much now, I can actually see me getting some much needed supplies to get going on this again.

Well, I have finally added some new merchandise to my small collection. Unfortunately, I had to take down the layout and move it, since our old house was starting to fall apart. Got a lot more room now to build a good layout though, but will probably hold off on that, and just complete this smaller one.

Plans haven't changed on it, just been delayed for quite sometime, due to moving, and the economy. Finally starting to get decent hours at work, so I should be back to working on the layout soon. I am hoping this weekend to get downstairs and put the legs back on, and check everything on it to make sure nothing was damaged in the move. Then I have to unpack all of my track, trains, and anything else needed.

Since my last post on here, I haven't done anything new to the layout, but I did add to my collection today with some nice Christmas presents. I got from the parents, a new CSX painted GP38 loco, a code 80 LH turnout, and 5 sections of flex track. Finally going to get away from the EZ track...........................I hope...lol My birthday is coming up in January so I am hoping to get some more goodies, as well as the $50 I got from the in-laws to spend on some materials.

I will try and keep this updated a little more often, now that I am actually getting 40+ hours at work, I should be able to start spending some money on this.
Here are some pics of the new materials I got today. Enjoy!
FamilyPhotos385.png

FamilyPhotos386.jpg

FamilyPhotos388.png

FamilyPhotos391.png

Back