SD-70ACe decoder install issues

Hi everyone, I went to install more dcc decoders tonight and ran into my first issue in the last 11 I've done. Layout is N scale.

The problem is with a Kato SD-70ACe using a Digitrax DN163K1C decoder. I've followed all of the instructions using digitrax, kato and TCS procedures to make sure I didn't miss something. The locomotive has been programmed, all lights work and it runs both fwd and reverse with the shell off. As soon as the shell goes on it doesn't move. Lights still work and it changes direction but no movement. I can put the shell on almost all the way and it moves but that final click is causing something to stop it. I've clipped the radiator tabs inside the shell as recommended and the entire underside of the decoder has kapton tape and the sides where the tabs are (as seen in pics).

Has anyone else had this issue or have any suggestions? My references are below.

http://www.tcsdcc.com/Customer_Content/Installation_Pictures/N_Scale/Kato/SD70ACe/EMD_SD70ACe.html

https://www.katousa.com/N/SD70ACe/maint/DCC.html

182a8bbe5a9a209d1b5ef80821eb9f9f.jpg

c3b6e90eba07b47168f7540d49d5e697.jpg

Thanks in advance,
Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's happened to me before. The pressure of the shell on the very back of the decoder when the shell touches it breaks electrical contact between the frame and the decoder. Remove the decoder, and gently tap the two contact points on the frame, to close it up a little bit, then put the decoder back in.
One of those drove me crazy doing the same thing, even afer closing the connecting frame piece. Turned out the shell pushing down on the decoder opened a cold solder joint on the decoder. I had to send it back to Digitrax for repair.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks I'll give that a try today. Someone else suggested that the frame might be pushing down on the board to break the contact at the motor points too so I'll try both.

I've got some other identical decoders so I could always swap with another to isolate the possibility of the cold solder issue you spoke of right?

Thanks again
Steve

Sometimes you just have to step back when you've run out of options and rethink it the next day. So this morning I was looking at the suggestions and the locomotive to see if I could see contact being broken but none.... I noticed inside the shell there are a couple pieces of plastic from the mold that stick out just about where the motor parts would turn (not the radiator tabs I already trimmed as directed in the installation instructions). I proceeded to gently push the inside of the shell outward on both sides where the motors would turn. Tried again and it worked with the shell installed!

Hope this helps others, thanks for the help.

UP SD-70ACe 8512 joining a pair of UP ES44AC's after getting some maintenance repairs:

953d98c2d3add14a96f57a99ff88d806.jpg

2f40e9962eeb2ce6e4dd36f9a866e3d6.jpg

Steve

Back