Scratchbuilt Prison

pa3de8

GO PENNSY!!!
I just started using XtrCAD to design a prison I want to include on my layout.
I hope to have it all designed and I'll attach a copy of the design here in this thread for you guys to see.
I was going to put a hospital for the mentally ill or the prison so I opted for the prison since I'm a
corrections officer.

Scott

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like an interesting idea. :cool: I had a similar one to put in a Territorial Prison somewhere on the B.A.D. Western. I got the idea from a cartoon of an escaping convict (in the old-time stripped suit) that had tunneled out of the prision only to come up right in the middle of some RR tracks right in front of a speeding train. :eek: Doesn't seem like it would be too hard to make a LPB pop up and down. :confused:

Looking forward to seeing your design.
Doc

Sounds like an interesting idea. :cool: I had a similar one to put in a Territorial Prison somewhere on the B.A.D. Western. I got the idea from a cartoon of an escaping convict (in the old-time stripped suit) that had tunneled out of the prision only to come up right in the middle of some RR tracks right in front of a speeding train. :eek: Doesn't seem like it would be too hard to make a LPB pop up and down. :confused:

Looking forward to seeing your design.
Doc

Sounds like quite an interesting idea Doc! If you do happen to do it, take some photos! I'll keep you up to date on my progress on teh design of the prison.

Scott

Well you know you are going to need a few of these.

Picture004.jpg

This is about all the info I have on it . I found it on E bay a few years back, I think I got it for about $60. You could easily make a few and try to get some decals made.

Picture005-1.jpg

Well, it wasn't an actual car, as in having a prototype. It was one of Walthers "Fantasy" line of cars they produced about 10 years ago. The only time I saw one was on display in one of our investigator's office. He thought it was a hoot. :)

There's sort of a prototype though. Before the Feds started flying prisoners, they had about 10 converted troop sleepers that were used to transfer prisoners around the country. They were painted a dark grey and looked like statndard troop sleepers except for the barred windows. I don't recall the reporting marks but I saw one in Los Angeles in 1968. The would usually make a stop in LA about once a month to pick up federal prisoners and there was a special track for them at Taylor Yard. When they moved, it was usually two troop sleepers and a heavyweight rider coach/sleeper that carried the guards. They ran as a passenger specials on the SP and aways had rights over any other train.

Well, it wasn't an actual car, as in having a prototype. It was one of Walthers "Fantasy" line of cars they produced about 10 years ago. The only time I saw one was on display in one of our investigator's office. He thought it was a hoot. :)

There's sort of a prototype though. Before the Feds started flying prisoners, they had about 10 converted troop sleepers that were used to transfer prisoners around the country. They were painted a dark grey and looked like statndard troop sleepers except for the barred windows. I don't recall the reporting marks but I saw one in Los Angeles in 1968. The would usually make a stop in LA about once a month to pick up federal prisoners and there was a special track for them at Taylor Yard. When they moved, it was usually two troop sleepers and a heavyweight rider coach/sleeper that carried the guards. They ran as a passenger specials on the SP and aways had rights over any other train.

That's a shame that stopped using them. It would have been interesting if they would have used the name "Con-Rail" like "Con-Air"..lol
I'll have to get on my groups and see if anyone has any information on these cars.

Scott

LOL. Now that you mention it, our transport deputies used to say they were taking prioners down to the "Con Rail" cars when the Los Angeles County jail had federal prisoners, which was pretty frequently. This was in 1968-1972, long before Conrail became a reality. I never connected the two until you mentioned it. Maybe that's where they got the name. :)

LOL. Now that you mention it, our transport deputies used to say they were taking prioners down to the "Con Rail" cars when the Los Angeles County jail had federal prisoners, which was pretty frequently. This was in 1968-1972, long before Conrail became a reality. I never connected the two until you mentioned it. Maybe that's where they got the name. :)

I don't know if it had any connection with what you stated about the name. I was just comparing rail to air prision tranports since I've seen first hand about Con-Air flights.
Someone put a bug in my ear about this and now I've become obsessed with finding out more now to incorporate it onto my layout.

Scott

That look's an interesting model to make, should be pretty easy to convert a rail box

It's pretty easy to convert a Rail-Box car.
I'm hoping I can convert a few passenger cars so I make this transport train.
I was hoping to find some more info and photos on it though before I started making my attempt at it.

Scott

Here's the jail in my little cow town of Defiance, home of the Bovee & Defiance (BAD) Western. I bashed a WS Rocky's Tavern by adding bars.
jail.jpg

Seems the sheriff is looking for new larger digs as this is way too small to hold the usual Saturday night crowd. :( I'll probably re-bash it into the first Starbucks.:D
Doc

Here's the jail in my little cow town of Defiance, home of the Bovee & Defiance (BAD) Western. I bashed a WS Rocky's Tavern by adding bars.
jail.jpg

Seems the sheriff is looking for new larger digs as this is way too small to hold the usual Saturday night crowd. :( I'll probably re-bash it into the first Starbucks.:D
Doc

Nice bashing Doc! My prison is on a larger scale as there is nothign I do in life that's small!!! lol

Scott

Good job on the jail. I always liked the Rocky's Tavern kit. It was a pain to put together but the detail is really great and it will fit just about anywhere.

Back