scratchbuilt bumpers anyone???

Airslide

The Flange Squeal
several moths ago i came accross a little photo tutorial on scratchbuilding bumbers using a bent nail, some yellow paint and other household items. at the time i was just getting my roadbed down. now that is complete and i would like to include those bumpers, but I cannot find that tutorial anywhere. has anyone ever seen this tutorial? if so please post the link to it. thanks in advance.

The only tutorial I recall seeing was for garden railroads and it was a lot more involved than a nail and some yellow paint. There are some things just not worth scratchbuilding to me. I can get 12 nice looking Hayes bumpers at http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/933-3511 for $9.98. They are easy to build and weather and the small amount of money spent frees up time for other scratchbuilding ventures.

The Hayes that Jim mentioned are well worth the $$.

But if you insist, you can get away with just about any design you wish as most of them are totally custom-managled at the site.

In fact, most of the ones I see now (prototype) just have the tracks end in a mound of ballast or dirt. The more "sophisticated" ones use a pile of ties.

Many moons ago, I scratch built some bumpers using HO scale rails and CA.
I got the idea from a photo in model railroader and they were really easy to build. I've since lost them somewhere in the "train room".

just a reminder: if you use actual rails, make sure you don't creat a short circuit by having the rails touch powered rails and each other.....

Back