Scl gp38-2

suprduc

I have a Proto 2000 GP38-2 in the SCL scheme that has dual headlights in both the nose and numberboard locations. Not all of their GP38-2s were like this BTW. I was contemplating repainting this particular model for the CP or CN/IC which means I will need to fill in one set of lights. That got me thinking though. :confused:

1. Why did the SCL have their GP38-2s set up with headlights in both locations?
2. Did any other lines do anything like this?

Here is a picture of prototype SCL #514

Unless you can remove the dynamic brakes, you may not be able to do the IC. The 9600 series of GP38-2s had nose only headlights, while some of them had nose head lights, and a 3-light warning light array between the numberboards.

Some of the low 9500 series GP38ACs had dynamic brakes, and one has the sight glass (IC/ICG9517) of the -2 models, as well as a two-light warning light between the number boards.

The top set of lights are not head lights. They are Mars lights, which rotated in a figure eight pattern. Pyle National also made a similar warning light, except the oscillating pattern was somewhat different. This was the pre-ditchlight days of using flashing lights to make the locomotive more visible at crossings. They were particularly effective at night, since the oscillating pattern lit up the whole countryside in front of the train as it approached. Many railroads used one brand or the other, the most famous being the SP, which equipped virtually every engine with a light cluster that contained the headlights, twin white Mars lights, and single red Mars light that came on when the train went into emergency. The IC replaced all their Mars type lights with a three light cluster that had one white light flashing up to the left, another white light flashing down and to the right, with a single flashing red light that also came on when the train went into emergency. This arrangement was nowhere near as effective as an oscillating light but it was much cheaper to maintain. Both Mars and Pyle oscillating headlights were driven by motors that were a constant maintenance headache and very expensive to replace when they broke. Even the SP, one of the chief proponents of oscillating warning lights, had removed most of them by the early 80's.

Thank you for that for informative answer Jim. Answered almost everything I could come up with. :) I did go through some pictures on the rrarchives and saw that when all of the GP38-2s from the SCL were repainted in CSX colors, the MARS lights were removed. I'm still fascinated by the whole thing though.

I assume that the Proto 2000 version that I have would NOT have a Mars Light feature even with DCC? Would I be able to remove those lenses and install the cover over them if I were to repaint this particular model with a modern scheme?

ok well now i know what mars lights were! very informative UP2CSX:D

Hmmmmm... I wonderif you could recreate that in a model , the whole figure 8 oscillating effect?

Depending on which decoder you have in your loco (and how it's wired), you could set it up for the top lights to act like you want them.

You're quite welcome. I've always loved Mars lights and still think they are far more effective warning lights than flashing ditch lights.

Indeed, most four to six function decoders will let you assign a Mars light sequence to any of the lights, including a regular headlight. I'm quite certain that a P2K SCL engine will have the Mars lights and the decoder is probably already set to use the top lights to simulate a Mars light. Of course, the LED's don't actually move, but some decoders do a very good job of controlling the flash and pattern, so it looks pretty much like a real Mars light.

If you choose to repaint it in CSX colors, you can remove the top LED, remove the lenses, and then blank off the mounting with a piece of styrene to match the usual CSX practice. Personally, I'd repaint it and leave the Mars light, with the story that this one slipped through the repaint with the Mars light intact. I just like Mars lights. :)

You're quite welcome. I've always loved Mars lights and still think they are far more effective warning lights than flashing ditch lights.

Indeed, most four to six function decoders will let you assign a Mars light sequence to any of the lights, including a regular headlight. I'm quite certain that a P2K SCL engine will have the Mars lights and the decoder is probably already set to use the top lights to simulate a Mars light. Of course, the LED's don't actually move, but some decoders do a very good job of controlling the flash and pattern, so it looks pretty much like a real Mars light.

If you choose to repaint it in CSX colors, you can remove the top LED, remove the lenses, and then blank off the mounting with a piece of styrene to match the usual CSX practice. Personally, I'd repaint it and leave the Mars light, with the story that this one slipped through the repaint with the Mars light intact. I just like Mars lights. :)

Thanks again. Leaving the lights alone and repainting it could make for some good conversation. :cool:

Back