Scenic update for Sweethome Alabama

Into June, and the work on Sweethome Alabama begins again, after a short hiatus while Sweethome Chicago was prepped for exhibiting a couple of weeks ago.

I chose the area just to the right of the silos for treatment, to continue the scenic progress along the back of the layout from left to right. So far, Silflor scenic matting has been glued to the hill base and loose leaves have been glued in place.

SWA_June_2011_005.jpg

SWA_June_2011_002.jpg

SWA_June_2011_004.jpg

SWA_June_2011_006.jpg

Jon

That looks seriously legit. If I didn't recognize the WS rock face I'd totally fall for it. :D

I added a few trees to the bare hillside tonight to give some height to the scene. Tomorrow I'll add some bushes, flowers and weeds

IMG_9698.JPG

IMG_9703.JPG

IMG_9708.JPG

IMG_9713.JPG

IMG_9711.JPG

IMG_9706.JPG

Jon

Jon,

As always, your work is very impressive.

Now all you need to do is take your trees, in an area, twist them until all the limbs are stripped or broken, any structures in that area should be de-constructed, down to the bare walls, and scatter the debris all around.
Then you can have the same areas of tornado damage, as we have here now.;)

I made a start on scenicing the slope in at the front of the layout today. Usual method of gluing grass mat to the base and adding some bushes

IMG_9746.JPG

IMG_9741.JPG

IMG_9732.JPG

IMG_9726.JPG

IMG_9730.JPG

Jon

Jon that really is looking real good. Now all ya gotta do is model enough Kudzu to cover it all up!;):D

Around here the Kudzu will catch a slow moving freight!

Marvelous scenery! Can't wait to see more.

Rotor

PS... I'm waiting for the Kudzu to bloom here. I'm going to make Kudzu jelly this year.

I have added a few more foreground trees to the west board before commencing scenic work on the Eastern end of the layout.
CSX GP38-2 switching cars in the west yard

IMG_9756.JPG

IMG_9752.JPG

IMG_9751.JPG

IMG_9750.JPG

Jon

The next big job on the layout was to separate the two main boards on the layout. The first task was to remove the lighting, the backscene and the small end board from the West Yard board, so I could 'jiggle' it loose from the East board

IMG_9774.JPG

IMG_9775.JPG

IMG_9776.JPG

The joining bolts and wing-nuts were then slackened and the boards loosened apart. I had been careful not to lay the polystyrene blocks and plaster bandage across the board joints, so the two layout boards separated quite easily

IMG_9778.JPG

Jon

Moving further eastwards, I have added the ground cover to the east yard and am just waiting for the diluted white glue to dry on the ballast, wood chippings and static grass, before starting on the hills with the Silflor grass

IMG_9760.JPG

IMG_9761.JPG

IMG_9765.JPG

The hills de-nuded of the temporarily-added trees, enabling me to affix the ground cover and forest floor

IMG_9767.JPG

IMG_9770.JPG

IMG_9768.JPG

Jon

Work on the scenics is progressing rapidly now, in fact too rapidly to upload any progress photos for nearly a week. The backscene has had the sky repainted, the silos have finally got a name, the main road bridge has had some work done on it and I've planted a load more trees.

Here are some photos

IMG_9784.JPG

IMG_9797.JPG

IMG_9806.JPG

IMG_9836.JPG

IMG_9839.JPG

IMG_9818.JPG

I've also been planting some new grass seed. Lets see how quick it grows in the Alabama sunshine.

Jon

Well, the grass seems to be growing quicker than 'Chia Pet' and possibly even kudzu. It has already covered the next hillside and more. The trees are following rapidly behind.

Here's the next set of photos

IMG_9813.JPG

IMG_9808.JPG

IMG_9809.JPG

The trees are now on the other side of the road bridge

IMG_9804.JPG

I have also been working on the highway guardrails

IMG_9795.JPG

Now to make some more trees

Jon

Back