Scenes from a narrow shelf layout continued:

zoegraf

Craftsman at heart
I put a sheet of bristol board that has a sky image on it against the wall.

Last edited by a moderator:
That backdrop makes all the difference..!! Outstanding...!!
That bristol board....did you paint it yourself..??

That backdrop makes all the difference..!! Outstanding...!!
That bristol board....did you paint it yourself..??

Thanks.
The bristol board can be bought at Staples and it comes in various colours. I didn't paint it. The make is Geographics Posterboard of Norwalk CT. The colour is called Clouds - #39414.
I'm thinking of buying a couple of more sheets and putting them together and hiding the seams with photoshop.

photohelp

I tried my long necked desk lamp for shadow effect lighting. I placed it on the back of the sofa next to my train board and shone it at a sideways angle to create some shadowing. Remember to position your camera so some of the illuminated areas and some of the shaded areas show up.

I really like the effect you did with your stock car!

I tried my long necked desk lamp for shadow effect lighting. I placed it on the back of the sofa next to my train board and shone it at a sideways angle to create some shadowing. Remember to position your camera so some of the illuminated areas and some of the shaded areas show up.

I really like the effect you did with your stock car!

Thanks for the tips.
In which shot do you like the effect on the stock car?

Thanks.

I tried shooting a few more today, but didn't turn out that great. I definitely need to borrow or invest in some flood lamps and a better camera.
Nice pics and thanks for sharing.
As for investing in flood lamps - if you do, be careful as they can generate a lot of heat and melt the plastic on your models. I've had that happen a couple of times. If you need more light and still want to use flood lamps you'd be better off bouncing the light off of a reflector of some kind. That way you'll get more even light, eliminate shadows to a certain extent, and keep your models from softening.

Nice pics and thanks for sharing.
As for investing in flood lamps - if you do, be careful as they can generate a lot of heat and melt the plastic on your models. I've had that happen a couple of times. If you need more light and still want to use flood lamps you'd be better off bouncing the light off of a reflector of some kind. That way you'll get more even light, eliminate shadows to a certain extent, and keep your models from softening.

Thanks for sharing the important info!

Cheers.

Back