SCARM

baja463

For those of you who have a paid license to this software: is it worth it?

Or can I plan my relatively simple layout using the free version?

It's the $44.90 license price that has me puckering.

Thanks for your feedback.

For those of you who have a paid license to this software: is it worth it?

Or can I plan my relatively simple layout using the free version?

It's the $44.90 license price that has me puckering.

Thanks for your feedback.
I have bought it and I would say yes it is worth it.. although if like me you use more than one machine you have to return the licence before using it on another.

However there are some very good free options like "XtrackCAD" which is FOSS and runs on any system, but unfortunately lacks the 3D renderer. I would say it's not as "polished" as scarm, but just as good for layout planning. (I prefer scarm for doing gradients and the ability to 'feel' it in 3D but that is really the only thing), both have full track models for most popular track in all scales.

As said above try the free version, you can cheat it a little because you are allowed x number of track bits, but once happy you can replace large areas of track with 1 bit of flex track and add a comment text to describe what is there.

Last edited:
I have the paid version of Scarm. To me it was worth it, my layout exceeded its limitations. IMHO they can all be very good, it is just overcoming the learning curve. Once you are comfortable with the software, it will usually go well and be less frustrating.

I have the paid version of Scarm. To me it was worth it, my layout exceeded its limitations. IMHO they can all be very good, it is just overcoming the learning curve. Once you are comfortable with the software, it will usually go well and be less frustrating.
Thanks, Joe ... I'm learning my way through it! Slow but sure!

I used scarm a few years ago. You can do an awful lot with the free version and at the time, after you use so many symbols etc. it just won’t go any further. The paid version is the same but allows unlimited symbols. Now this was about 4 years ago and I haven’t used it much since but I don’t think the format has changed.

I used scarm a few years ago. You can do an awful lot with the free version and at the time, after you use so many symbols etc. it just won’t go any further. The paid version is the same but allows unlimited symbols. Now this was about 4 years ago and I haven’t used it much since but I don’t think the format has changed.
There is a track laying limit now and other things blocked in their "free" version. In 2015, you could build an entire layout with SCARM, and I did, free of charge nothing restricted.

Stumbled on something interesting ... Many of you probably know this, but for those who don't, be aware that the Atlas track planning software is a virtual duplicate of SCARM. I recall when Atlas had their OWN software, but apparently they've decided to discontinue that. Too bad, I thought it was very friendly. So it goes.

Back