Scaletrains Dash 9 running horribly after one year

monkeys

I bought a Scaletrains Dash 9 a year ago, and it had been running fine and sounded great until recently. I had taken a hiatus of a month or so, and when I tried running it last weekend, it ran incredibly slowly (13 scale mph) at full power. It keeps stalling, slowing down and speeding up slightly, stopping, and losing power. I opened it up and took a look inside and lubricated the main gears (I could not access the motor or trucks) to no avail.

I've contacted support and, since it's been more than a year, it's no longer covered under warranty...

Has anyone had a similar issue? How could I go about solving it?

I bought a Scaletrains Dash 9 a year ago, and it had been running fine and sounded great until recently. I had taken a hiatus of a month or so, and when I tried running it last weekend, it ran incredibly slowly (13 scale mph) at full power. It keeps stalling, slowing down and speeding up slightly, stopping, and losing power. I opened it up and took a look inside and lubricated the main gears (I could not access the motor or trucks) to no avail.

I've contacted support and, since it's been more than a year, it's no longer covered under warranty...

Has anyone had a similar issue? How could I go about solving it?
You've done all the usual checks, like cleaned the wheels and track, no loose wires, contacts are all clean etc.?

I can understand the warranty running out after a year; HOWEVER, they didn't even offer any ideas as to what it might be or suggestions - you know adopt and employ "Customer Service"?

I have 6 of their Dash9's from two different runs and I have not experienced any of the problems that you describe. A one year old locomotive should not have needed lubrication. It is most likely dirty track which has led to and contributed to dirty wheels from the symptoms that you describe. The symptoms are classic dirty components problems. You didn't post whether or not you addressed that. Cleaning wheels is easy, use a folded paper towel with the cleaning fluid of your choice, I use 99% Isopropyl Alcohol but others use Mineral Spirits or other cleaning agents. Place the towel and your loco on the track, with the towel beneath one truck, and the other truck on the track. Hold the end on the towel and apply full power. Let the wheels spin for 15-20 seconds and then repeat with the other truck. The paper towel will have black streaks on it from the dirt/grime from the wheels. Set the loco aside and clean your track. It is dirty after the hiatus and that's where the wheels get their dirt from to begin with. There are at least a dozen ways to do that, google "cleaning model railroad track" to find the one that you prefer. Do both because just cleaning one or the other without doing both will not resolve the entire problem.
Regarding customer service - I don't know who you might have spoken to there, but that is not how I have been treated by their customer service department. They have always been most helpful. If there was no one there, the person answering the phone always made sure that someone got back to me in less than an hour, except weekends which I never tried.
I have 7 other of their locomotives and I have not had any issues with any of them either.

Back