Scale weght

The missing part that you don't see the gravity exerted on 1:1 mass vs 1:87 scale. It applies 658,503 times stronger force on 1:1 vs 1:87. If I got the numbers right. I know the equation is backwards for getting the real thousandth of a percent number for 1:87.

It does explain why I can run a HO train over code 55 track with a 6" gap in the roadbed without issues, while a 1:1 train will turn the rails over a 40' gap in the roadbed into spaghetti.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Probably. The strength of the Code 55 rail is way out of proportion compared with 1:1. Not only that, but you have the plastic ties backing up the nickel silver track. Another interesting thing that comes up in model locomotive product reviews is the number of cars it can pull up a 3 percent (or whatever) grade. Is that based on the weight of the scale cars (including friction of the metal axles on, say plastic journals)? I would suppose that would also be based on the NMRA standard for each boxcar. Ain't this fun? :rolleyes:

I'm glad we don't have to deal with the same weight, there is no way we could have 6% grades on our layouts, I noticed that when the U.S. transcontinental was being planned they originally wanted max grade to be no more than 7%!!! I don't know what the max grade of the final construction was. They were dealing with the Rocky Mountains so they really did not have much choice. One of my 'tunnels' will be a Sierra 'snow shed' type tunnel, they are WAY cool!

I noticed that when the U.S. transcontinental was being planned they originally wanted max grade to be no more than 7%!!! I don't know what the max grade of the final construction was.
I don't know about the UP / CP line, but the NP transcontinental originally had a 5.6 grades in their switchbacks over Stampede Pass before the tunnel was built. Trains of 5 cars were moved over it with a specially built loco on either end. At the time these locos were the largest in the world - Baldwin 2-10-0. An hour and 15 minutes each way. Talk about a boring and dangerous job.

http://digitalcollections.lib.washington.edu/cdm/ref/collection/transportation/id/226

Back