Santa Fe paint choice.

coastrider

One of my tasks over the holiday period is to catch up on the painting of my RR models,i bought my self a very nice badger airbrush and compressor for christmas and i've been having a great time painting.
How ever one of the paints i bought was "Polly Scale rail box yellow" this was recommended for Santa fe yellow (as in locos) well it just dosent look right even when mixed well, ok so its still in the bottle and it possibly will change once sprayed. To complicate matters i checked my collection of AT&SF locos and all 6 are different shades of yellow.
So has any one any recommendations on the correct shade of yellow or is it worth going ahead with what i have, i dont at this stage want to go to mixing my own custom shades, I will eventually be weathering this engine once i have got used to spraying ordinary colors.
Thanks
Mike.

Technically there is no correct shade, it differs by age. I myself use Santa Fe Yellow. I use Testors Silver for all Santa Fe & BNSF silver.

It's kind of like UP Armour Yellow and Harbor Mist Gray. There were probably twenty different variations of this color scheme on the prototypes and they all looked different as they weathered. That's one of the reasons why it's almost impossible to find an out of the bottle paint match with a pre-painted UP engine. The Santa Fe was very similar. There wasn't as much variation in the blue but the yellow was all over the board. I'd just use what you have and it will blend in when you weather it.

Santa Fe paint

Thanks guys for your feed back on my paint issue's. The santa fe yellow that Josh mentions is not available round here,i sprayed up a box car with the "Box car yellow" that i had and yuk theres no way it would have passed as yellow on a engine so i just bought some plain ordinary satin yellow and that seems ok. I think it will give me the effect im looking for once the painting is finished and i move on to weathering.
Once again thanks guys.

Mike.

This is the colour i finally chose compared to a RTR model and the box car which i painted in what is supposed to be "Box car yellow".
The ultimate effect i aiming for once the model is finished and weathered is that of a sun bleached,rust streaked and generally rundown unit nearing the end of its working life, long way to go yet :)

Mike.

Back