S scale

Bill Sharp

Bill Sharp
Eyesight's not very good, have slight hand tremors from years pf certain medications (and probably from aging), and HO gauge, which I really like, is too small to work on. So my question: is S gauge popular enough these days to be feasible, are plenty of products available, or do I have to move up to O gauge?

I think it depends on what you're hoping to model. With my limited exposure to S scale it seems like most S scale modelers are doing a big mix of transition era (steam to diesel 40s and 50s) in the New England railroads. There may be a larger selection available than that, but that's what I see the most of.

That said, even whatever limited selection there is in S will likely be less expensive in O just because there's a larger market. It certainly consumes more square footage, but there's a lot to gain from O Scale. You could more easily incorporate narrow gauge O scale as well, with multiple popular O scale narrow gauges to choose from.

S-scale is a scale that I wish I had done. The suppliers nowadays supply well detailed, well built RTR items. There are steamers, diesels, modern, transition, and older.

There are also some individual manufacturers out there who can supply resin kits if that is to your liking, as well as the classic wooden "craftsman" type kits.

Here, Google is your friend.

Back