Rusted up a '46 Chevy Semi-tractor model

Playing with some more weathering. This would be 12 years old or so on my layout, so it should be pretty rusty I think. Feedback welcome.

How difficult would it be to sun fade the paint and give it an overall surface rust appearance, especially on the upper surfaces? This tank model is about the best picture I found of the degree (maybe slightly lighter than) I mean.
1595807667337.png

I read Fine Scale Modeler, another magazine by Kalmbach, which some great articles on weathering abeit military equipment or aircraft. The methods and techniques they use on their models can be applied to model railroading.

I remember a local hobby shop, now out of business, that had military models on display in a large glass case with each model in a diorama. The modeling was suburb as was the diorama construction. The work was done by a young modeler!

Greg

I took the truck apart today and put some more work into it. I couldn't get the glass out, it snaps in and I was worried I would break it, but I did get the interior out and painted that.

I sponged some DullCote onto the body, avoiding the windows, and then added some sun-fading to the paint.

It looks pretty old and crusty now. :)

I took the truck apart today and put some more work into it. I couldn't get the glass out, it snaps in and I was worried I would break it, but I did get the interior out and painted that.

I sponged some DullCote onto the body, avoiding the windows, and then added some sun-fading to the paint.

That looks fantastic!

I have few suggestions , the body work is too good , at 12 years , there ought to be some dents , bent bumper and a trashed grill , it would hurt if there was a crack in the windshield . A little flaked paint wouldn't hurt either. You could also take a dremel and buff the tread off the tires or better yet find another couple of tires that are different

Back