Running a Bachmann overland express on NCE

My son is getting a little steam engine seat for Christmas, and i think it will work with my NCE PowerCab, but im not sure. I read thru the manual earlier and it says that you can run this in dc mode, but it doesnt say that is all that is required to run dc trains. Is that all i need to do? I really dont want to unhook any of my wires to hook up his transformer, but i will if he wants to run it on the big track.

In a nutshell, Most DCC systems will not allow dc operation. Digitrax is the exception, but its not good.
You can run the engine, but you must disconnect the DCC system first, or you will ruin the dcc system.

I have a digitrax, and it allows me to run both DCC and DC. However, the DC never shuts off. So my DC steamer I have will sit and "Idle"

Thats not necessarily good for your locomotive to leave it sit on the track on DCC without a chip. It will damage the motor.

Meanwhile, if you want to let your son run his engine on your layout just install a decoder in the locomotive. It will still work on the DC of his EZ Track. I have done it with that locomotive and it is not hard to do.

Back