Runaway Wreck

wheeler1963

Aurora & Portland Owner
Dateline Aurora Illinois: An Aurora & Portland RR engine ran wild after the brakeman forgot to apply the brakes before exiting the engine. A spokesman for the NTSB stated that the brakeman had worked over his 12 hours and shouldn't have been on duty. The engine, A&P #47 ran south out of Aurora on trackage leading to the Southside Chemical plant. Officials at the railroad decided to derail the engine before it caused a major accident. The SD-40-2 snoot nose engine was switched over to a siding 2 miles from the chemical plant. The engine slammed into a boxcar, derailing the engine off of the siding causing the fuel tank to explode and burn the engine extensively.

100_1620.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Boy, Jerome, maybe you can get together with nekom and give hime some pointers on how engines will look in a post-apocalyptic world. :) Nice wreck job though.

Thank you gentleman. I'm surprised at how easy these wrecks are to do. I've collected 100's of pictures of real wrecks now as inspiration. I'm even thinking about doing a diorama of a salvage yard kinda like this.

http://www.trainweb.org/lfnwfan/html/Larry's.htm

As usual Jerome, you've done well yet again. I really like the idea of a salvage yard too. It seems that there could be a lot of potential with that on a lot of layouts. It could be a great way to include some extra lines or fallen flags that would not normally be seen in some locales.

Carl,

I got the idea from Phil ie Martin_Lumber. He sent me that website. I'm in the process of collecting engines shells now that will be cut up and salvaged. Then I can pretty much add any RR equipment out there. I think it'll be a 4' X 6' diorama.

Jerome,

I absolutely love the idea more and more as I continue to think about it and look at what you are building there already. So many great ideas yet not enough room for all of them. Can't wait to see your's progress.

Great model, especially like the touch of the tape on the end railings! Do you intend to incorporate the model(s) into a diorama?

I started a pair of modules several years ago and intended to have a wreck scene on them. I was using photos of an area train that had gone into a river. The loco was on its side an partially submerged, there were wrecked boxcars and such on the bank. I started some of the models but never did proceed with the idea. I had the idea of simulating the crumpled metal of a boxcar by duplicating part of its side with tinfoil, painting and lettering it, then bending and tearing it to look like sheet metal. Never happened though, my interests went elsewhere.

Thanks for the inspiration!

You know Bob I was thinking of doing an old wreck that happened near hear in SivlerCreek , New York , It happened in the 1800' s and took alot of lives , most in the burning wreckage , then I thought better of the idea and let it rest .

Wow thats a great job. A wreck is something I always considered for my layouts but never attempted. After seeing that I think I might give it a go! Great job looks amazing!

Very Nicely built. I tried to do something like that with a UP Gondola, but the results I had wasn't what I was looking for.

Thank you all again for the compliments. I'm already half way into the next build. I'm going to do a CNW SD-40-2 Falcon Service #6910 for this wreck. (I just happen to have 2 extra shells sitting here)

Mr. Boudreau, yes I want to try to do a diorama for this. Last night Phil (Martin_Lumber) and I were looking at the actual site on-line via satellite, it is a pretty big site. I'll have to use a little modeler's license to make it fit into a 4' X 6' diorama. I don't have a layout now, so this will be one way for me to build something. I'm looking forward to it.

Another fine job Jerome, you sure know how to treat a nice shiney engine, thanks for sharing and giving inspiration

Boy, Jerome, maybe you can get together with nekom and give hime some pointers on how engines will look in a post-apocalyptic world. :) Nice wreck job though.

Where is your nasty critique about the lack of smoke damage, and soot stains, and all the other things that would have gone with a fuel tank explosion and fire, as well as a forced derailment. That engine looks brand spanking new, except where the alien ate its way out.

You don't quit, and I'm not even looking for your whining posts.

Scott

Back