Run smoke from decoder

Hutch

I have a USRA 0-6-0 that I'm installing a Tsunami 2 into. I'm considering running the smoke unit off of one of the decoder leads. I measured the current running in the smoke unit to 130mA. Just a little over the current rating. I'm considering adding a 100mA current limiter into the circuit and just turn the smoke on and off from the controller. Can I be the first to do this, I doubt it. I look forward to your input.

Aha, found this on Soundtraxx site. I'm doing it.
Smoke unit control.PNG

Another plan change. I'm going to replace the relay with a small FET which will fit nicely inside the shell.

Another plan change. I'm going to replace the relay with a small FET which will fit nicely inside the shell.
Just remember to use a bridge rectifier from the track terminals to the FET. Make sure you don't exceed the voltage for the smoke generator. Another option is to use a solid state relay like PVG612PBF DIP,60V 1 Form A Photo Voltaic Relay in a 6-pin.

Attachments

• 1678295870001.png
    1678295870001.png
    100.8 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Bah, I can't fit this stuff in the loco. I'll have to run it in the tender or just hook up the switch and be done with it.

What kind of connectors should be looking at for all these wires going to the tender? My spectrum has a 4 and a 2 wire connector. That's what I'll be doing here. Can you get the connectors pre wired?

Oh boy, getting pre-wired cables *could* be spendy; wire length depending. If you have more than one-of, look into Molex tools along with Jacks and Plugs; ( headers and connectors as the case may be ). Digikey ( and others ) are a good source for that. You then can nail stuff down to what YOU want. Keep in mind if you go that route, buy the headers/connectors with ONE more plug/jack than you need so you can polarize them. Note that some are already polarized with plastic tabs/channels; although usually more $$$. And, you can plug them in backwards if you really try hard!

Later

Yeah, after a quick search, I found they are to expensive. I decided to make my own from the headers I have.

FYI, you can use what is called 'machined sockets' which is a single ( sometime double ) line of sockets for inserting IC's. Ya break ( or cut ) them apart for the number of connections wanted. Tiny stuff. Suggest that if you do go this route, make sure that you do NOT use solid wire for the connections; too brittle. Good solder job is in order for these. The socket side is easy/peasy, the pin side takes a little more patience. Once plugged they stay that way. In one respect, that is good. On the other hand, getting them apart takes a couple pair of needle nose pliers with tongue in cheek while rocking back and forth. No, not you rocking, the connection.

Later

Yes, this is exactly what I used in the past. I may need some more wire though. We don't have anything like that laying around the electronics lab I work in.

Wait, we have ribbon cable that I can use. Just strip off the color I want!

Nope, not as flexible as decoder wire. I'll check with Soundtraxx and see what the have to offer.

I've come up with a place to put the relay and keep alive in the engine so I will only have 2 wires going to the tender, possibly 4 if I decide to ad a reverse light. I'm going to remove the smoke unit switch cover and fit the relay in it's place. The keep alive cap can just lay on the floor. I'll cover it in black electrical tape and that will be good enough for me. I'll add an engineer and a fireman somewhere down the road. This is quite a project.

060Switcher cab.jpg

Switch cover removed, I think this going to work perfectly. I may be able to fit the keep alive cap to the underside of the hood.

Switch box removed.jpg

Yes it is. The wire to the headlight are to short to do anything with now, so I had to separate the frame to get at the LED to put longer wires of the right color on it. Come on man, NMRA standards will you. Blue and white, not black and red.

Micro connectors

I have a USRA 0-6-0 that I'm installing a Tsunami 2 into. I'm considering running the smoke unit off of one of the decoder leads. I measured the current running in the smoke unit to 130mA. Just a little over the current rating. I'm considering adding a 100mA current limiter into the circuit and just turn the smoke on and off from the controller. Can I be the first to do this, I doubt it. I look forward to your input.
No, it's standard, normally you would run the Smoke Generator from one of your aux wires, which are Green or Purple, you don't need a current limiter, the generator will take the extra milliamp assuming your using a Seuth Generator, and controlling it via your decoder.

Micro connectors like this are what you want to look at, pre wired and usually long enough to reach. I don't know where your looking but these are around $2.00 a set.

1678479384111.png

Back