RTR year 2007 Athearn GP40-2 noise

CSXrailfan

One of my locomotives makes somewhat of a grinding sound only when going in the forward direction, I've taken the shell off to try and get a better listen. When going in reverse the noise is not there. Noise seems to be coming more from the motor ? I've checked the worm gears, cleaned and lubricated them on each end. Anyone have any idea what to try next to get it to run quietly in both directions? Anyone have a similar issue? Thanks in advance for your help.

Thanks for your advice, I just tried an additional washer in the front worm shaft and it didn't make any difference. I hear this noise most of the time when going UNDER 25-30 scale mph. And never when going backwards with the shell on and off. Putting my ear up to the motor it appears that it coming from that location. Any further advice Santafewillie, I'll give it a try. As mentioned this is a RTR yellow box bought about 2010.
Can you answer this as well? If I were to purchase another RTR made within the past 3-4 years will the shell fit and snap into the chassis of the older locomotive? Thanks again.

Back