RR Terminology, Spurs Sub. Divisions ect

CBCNSfan

Registered Member
Staff member
Hi All! good grief, I'm having a difficulty coming to grips with the terminology for my layout. CB&CNS is a Short line whatever that means as it has to be a pretty long shortline at over 200 miles. The next I come across is our local traffic is on Spur lines, the word itself kind of explains that one. It is also said there is two sub divisions, well Im not sure on that one either but lets say it's divided into two sections but still there is only one general manager and office. Next I come across the term Branch line, is that another name for spurlines or what?
What it all boils down to is that my layout is fictionally set in a small area of the CB&CNS Railway mainline ,with the mainline interchanging traffic with the local area (Basically the layout).
So my question is this a branchline or Spurlines or a sub Division of the CB&CNS?
13.gif
Willis

CBCNSfan said:
CB&CNS is a Short line whatever that means as it has to be a pretty long shortline at over 200 miles.
A shortline is a RR that's not a major RR. In today's world, in Canada that a RR that's not CN, CP or VIA. Shortlines can be large, I think its annual revenue quotas or something like that, that states if its a shortline or not.

Subdivions are used to devide up territory. CBNS has 4 subdivisions for instance, although it could easily be 2 in my opinion. Not sure how the logic works on that one.

On CN for instance you can have a continous subdivion from Halifax to Vancouver, but that would be a very-very long one. So you devide it up into sections, like Winnipeg-Melville,SK and so on.

Next I come across the term Branch line, is that another name for spurlines or what?
A branchline is a subdivion that's not the mainline. check pout this old CN map:
http://www.geocities.com/trainmaps/cnrail.jpg
The track from Montreal to Halifax is mainline, the other including CBNS track is shortline, as you can see it has less traffic. But don't get confused, on CBNS that same track is their mainline!:confused:

So my question is this a branchline or Spurlines or a sub Division of the CB&CNS?
Use them all. You can have a mainline (often double-tracked on Class I's), then a branchline long piece of track going away from it, perhaps to a couple towns, and to serve industries, etc. you have spurs, whci hare dead end.

CBNS has 4 subdivisions for instance
Huh!
Hi Roman
I had the impression they had two subs, Hopewell and Sydney (I think) what's the other two called?
Ok since the spurs to the mine and power plant are off the mainline, and the road switchers work only short distances on the mainline track. Then could the basic concept of my layout be called a branch line of the CB&CNS Rwy.? ( like, My freelance Branch line of the CB&CNS Rwy.) Or am I still confused? There's been so many changes in the past 30 years. I don't know if the Oxford was a sub in it's time, but it doesn't even get to Pictou nowdays let alone Oxford. Just want to get the terminology straight before I look too bad in what I put into print. :D
Sheesh! getting easier to do the modeling than talk about it :D

13.gif
Willis

CBCNSfan said:
I had the impression they had two subs, Hopewell and Sydney (I think) what's the other two called?
According to the 2005 Canadian Trackside Guide there's also the short sub from Stellarton to Westville, called the Oxfird spur.

My mistake for not cheking before posting, it's two subdivions and a spur.

Then could the basic concept of my layout be called a branch line of the CB&CNS Rwy.?
I think that a mainline should be present somewhere with branchline subdivions going off from it. Although I'm no expert on the subject.

I don't know if the Oxford was a sub in it's time, but it doesn't even get to Pictou nowdays let alone Oxford. Just want to get the terminology straight before I look too bad in what I put into print. :D
What confused me is that it was listed with the other subdivions, so I thought it was a subdivision to, not chequing that it sad "spur" after the name. As the miledge is in the 7x miles, it looks like it was a subdivision at one time.

Hi Roman, yes the Oxford run from Stellarton to Oxford junction NS where it joined again with the mainline out of Truro. All the North Shore towns Pictou, River John, Tatamagouche, Windsor ect to the Junction I came up with this on Google
HISTORICAL NOVA SCOTIAN RAILWAY PHOTOGRAPHSIn the second photo CN's westbound Scotian headed by FP9A 6521 is slowing to pick ... (Oxford Subdivision), Pugwash (Pugwash Spur) and Pictou (Pictou Spur) ...novascotiarailwayheritage.com/photos.htm - 75k - Cached - Similar pages

http://novascotiarailwayheritage.com/photos.htm

so as I said a lot of things changed in the past 30 years.

13.gif
Willis

CBCNSfan said:
http://novascotiarailwayheritage.com/photos.htm

so as I said a lot of things changed in the past 30 years.

13.gif
Willis
That's a great site alright. Compare then to now:
http://novascotiarailwayheritage.com/Photo%20archive/CN%2019%203662%203670%20Antigonish%20May%201973%20DAO.jpg
http://www.railroadforums.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=28890&cat=500&page=1
(the station has been cropped out in my photo, but you can see they put up the fence and the other tracks are disconnected and gathering weeds...)

Back