Roundhouse 2 Truck Shay

davetoshio

davetoshio
Hello,

I spent all day today putting together this Shay kit made by Roundhouse. It went together fairly well with the exception of the motor. I had some trouble mounting it and the instructions offered no help. I finally got it mounted but when I ran it, it sounded abnormally loud. I think ive traced the majority of the noise to the plastic gear box and gears. The drive shafts and crankshaft turn freely without any binding. Are these kits just naturally loud? Any help you guys could offer would be great! I need to get the mechanics figured out so I can finish the paint! Thanks!

kit1.jpg

kit2.jpg

kit3.jpg

kit4.jpg

kit5.jpg

Dave, I've never built one of those so congratulations on getting one done. I know they are not the easiest locomotive kit in the world to put together. I have seen (and heard) a few of these running and they sound a lot like a real Shay - noisy! :) All the U-joints and gears just tend to make the whole mechanism noisy. You can try using a little automatic transmission fluid on the gears and drive train. That and some run in time will quiet it down some. I don't know if you've been around one of these in real life but they have a top speed of a about 20 mph and it sounds like parts are going to come flying off the engine. As long as it runs smooth, noise is one of the things you have to live with when you get a Shay.

Yes, the noise is all in the gear train. I got a kit when they first came out and it too was noisy. At first I assumed it was the motor, but when I had it apart for some reason I disconnected the motor from the driveline, and it was almost silent on its own. I ran it on my modules but had problems with it here and there over the years. When I got my Bachmann 3 truck Shay I retired the Roundhouse one as being too noisy and problematic. Hope you have better luck with yours!

You are right, it is the gearbox and gears. After rebuilding one with the complete NWSL gear set, (not just the bullgear,) the gear noise quieted some, but still the loco was noisy.

Right now the only advantage that the MDC Shay has over the Bachmann shay is that the MDC can be more easily customized plus it is a two trucker. There are after market parts such as new boilers, cabs, and tanks, that can be used to change the appearence as well as the innumerable brass detail parts available from Cal-scale & PSC.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had that kit for quite a while now but haven’t tried to put it together. I did find this book with tips in it that could possibly help you out some. It is “The MDC Shay Handbook” by Jeff Johnston published by Oso Publishing Company ,second printing 1998.

Looks like you have done a very nice job though.

Duke

I had one of these for about 10 years before I put it together. Love it & yours looks very nice....Thanks for sharing...

New member searching for information

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Hi, Everyone,[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]I just joined the Model Railroad Forum today:p after searching for any reference on the web for the "Railroadhouse 2-truck Shay". I was looking to replace the instruction sheet that was severely damaged by mice:mad: while this incomplete model my deceased father had started some 25 years ago was in storage. I came across this forum and this thread on the Shay. I am looking to sell one of these kits my dad started, but I would like to provide a complete ”Instruction Sheet” (as it is self-titled) with the model. If anyone still has a “Roundhouse Instruction Sheet Class 'B' 42-Ton 2-Truck 3-Cylinder Shay Locomotive” I would appreciate any information you may have on where I might get a copy, or an original.[/FONT]

Of course, if any one is interested in this Shay without the instructions:rolleyes:I could make you a real good deal:D!

By the way, the model itself is in good condition. I can't be sure if it is complete at this point, though, without checking the instruction sheet to compare it with what is supposed to be there. The box it was stored in with other models was intact, so I am confident all parts are present.

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]You can read my introduction in this forum for more details of my circumstance.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Thank you very much in advance for any help you provide,[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Dean Rambler[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Elizabethtown, PA[/FONT]

While I have no need for a second MDC shay, I do have the address of someone who may be able to assist you.

Drop me a PM and I'll send you the details.

Also Welcome!

I recently purchased a two-truck Shay kit. It had troubleshooting instructions, but nothing else. Does anyone have instructions they can e-mail me?

Thanks!

Roundhouse Shay

This little Roundhouse shay was built over ten years ago when they first came out. I was a bugger to put together, plus I added a home made diode bridge for constant & directional lighting which was hard to fit in. I took quite a bit of tweaking to get it to run smoothly, but I did finally manage to do that, but I will say it is a bit noisy. In the tweaking process I was able to get it to quiet down some, but I don't think there is a way to make it completely quiet. It has been an excellent running locomotive for many years.

Here's mine, along with the build thread. I used NWSL regearing kit and it's still obnoxiously loud. I still have the instructions as well that I could scan in and send if folks need them. I followed, for the most part, the "The MDC Shay Handbook" referenced earlier, as well as a very nice site I found online but appears to be no longer active.

Build thread: http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19853

Full gallery: http://www.wasabiraceteam.com/gallery/TrainPics/MDC_Shay/index.html

attachment.php

Back