Roller Coasters

S.D. Unger

Are there any kits in HO scale for roller coasters, and if there isnt, has anyone made one.
I want to try to model West View Park in Pittsburgh, PA.

There are a few kits out there for HO roller coasters. Of course nobody is making kits of the coasters at West View Park, they're very unique and complex. You'd have to build your own for that.

Also, be aware that miniature roller coasters have a rather severe limitations. Physics doesn't scale. What on earth does that mean? It means you can't scale down the force of gravity. Your miniature coaster may look very realistic, but it won't operate in a realistic manner. Instead, it will fly around the track at what seems like 200 scale mph, breaking the illusion of scale.

Here's a sample of what I mean. Looks great, but runs way too fast. I think this model may be one from Coaster Dynamix.

Oddly, for a guy who runs a model railroad forum, I may steer you in a completely different direction. If you're looking to recreate roller coasters from specific locations and do it very precisely, you should likely consider going virtual reality.

There's a program out there called "No Limits Coasters". It's been around for years. It's easy to use, yet creates very realistic images and simulations. So much so, that real amusement parks often use it to create promo videos for roller coasters that are under construction.

Here's a video of one of the West View Park, created by a user of the program. Note that when you "ride" it, you control the view and can "turn your head" using the mouse, to look anywhere you like. I think it might even support VR but I'm not positive of that. In any case, it's amazing and well worth a look!

In Clearfield, UT there was a company that made roller coasters. You would see a roller coaster gradually rise in the distance and then would disappear as it was built and then disassembled for delivery.

There are a few kits out there for HO roller coasters. Of course nobody is making kits of the coasters at West View Park, they're very unique and complex. You'd have to build your own for that.

Also, be aware that miniature roller coasters have a rather severe limitations. Physics doesn't scale. What on earth does that mean? It means you can't scale down the force of gravity. Your miniature coaster may look very realistic, but it won't operate in a realistic manner. Instead, it will fly around the track at what seems like 200 scale mph, breaking the illusion of scale.

Here's a sample of what I mean. Looks great, but runs way too fast. I think this model may be one from Coaster Dynamix.

Thanks. I fully understand the science, in fact I only have room for a little more than half a coaster. So mine will have a batch of cars glued mid way down a hill. I'm hoping to set it in a corner around a trolley loop.

Or build a video screen into your backdrop with a roller coaster running on it.

... Looks great, but runs way too fast. I think this model may be one from Coaster Dynamix.

My neck hurt just watching that!

I spent a lot of time & money riding the Dips in West View Park after I was tall enough to ride.. Also the Racing Whippet, a dual track with competing car sets.

There was a small layout in the “mall” here that has a model of the roller coaster that was across the street years back.
I’ll see if I can get a picture of it if it’s still there

Back