Roco Z21 and Z21XL

Curious if anyone here is using a Roco Z21 or Z21XL to run their layout. I am thinking abut switching from Digitrax to Roco to use Railcom.

I used a Roco z21start (white box) for several years on the layout, it's now doing duty on my dcc test track upstairs.

I use the companion TPLink router for wifi, and control it all using a Samsung 9.5" tablet.

The z21 was my first experience with dcc, and I'm convinced that having it made getting things done MUCH easier for a novice. I could NEVER have accomplished with a pushbutton-style controller (NEC, Digitrax) what I was able to do with the z21 and app.

About a year ago I found a used Digikeijs DR5000 for a great price, and I'm currently using that to run the layout. It uses the same z21 control app as the actual Roco "boxes". The DR5000 is "a step up" from the z21 systems in that it has wifi built right into "the box" (no router or other hardware needed).

However, Digikeijs has now gone out of business. The fellow who designed the DR5000 (and other hardware) for them left to start a new company -- YaMoRC -- but its products aren't yet available here in the USA.

I found the basic z21start (which I bought from a dealer in Germany for $99) to be "all I needed" for my small layout. The Z21 (black box) offers more, but is MUCH more expensive.

The upcoming YaMoRC YD7100 hardware controller will be around $200 or so when it's released. It should offer quite a bit, and will be very easy to set up by virtue of its built in web browser interface -- any browser, from a computer, tablet or smartphone can be used to set it up.

I ended up switching to the Roco Z21 with the Dual Booster.

Using my own (more compact router) instead of the one that came with the Z21. Will be using iTrain also. I started a YT channel in case anyone wants to follow the build. Will be mostly Shorts. NEC_Amtrak - YouTube

2023-08-26_15-49-09.jpg

PXL_20230826_144815176.jpg

Back