Road Numbers

nateL

Engineer
Does anybody have any clue as to WHY model companies such as Atlas, or Kato (for instance) only make certain road numbers? For the longest time I've been wishing to complete my Providence and Worcester locomotive roster (without having to custom make anything anyway) but as far as Ive looked, theres only a few road numbers available.

Anybody know why they pick only certain ones to make?:confused:

Thanks in advance,

Nate

Most companies today do not manufacture products. They are master distributors. They buy products from manufacturers overseas. These are shipped over here and sold to other distributors such as Walthers, Horizon, etc. and to hobby shops. To get the best prices they have to buy items in large lots. Usually 2500, 5000 or more of each item. That is why you only see one or two road numbers per item. If an item sells out they usually reorder in a different road number. The reason they pick certain road numbers could be that the particular version they offer applies only to certain numbers. Other numbers may have different details. It could also be certain road number have an interesting history.

In addition to the reasons posted above, companies tend to make models close to the same number. Let's say that railroad "X" had 100 locomotives, numbered from 6000 to 6099. Companies will make numbers available like 6031 and 6038. The company only has to change one number. That gives the advantage of two numbers at the least expense.

I really wish more companies would make an unnumbered version of locomotives and rolling stock and include a sheet of numbers. I think another reason companies make only certain numbers of various pieces of equipment is probably because the numbers they use are probably the units they have access to pictures and information about.

I really wish more companies would make an unnumbered version of locomotives and rolling stock and include a sheet of numbers. I think another reason companies make only certain numbers of various pieces of equipment is probably because the numbers they use are probably the units they have access to pictures and information about.

NateL

I believe Atlas did the exact thing quoted above with the B39-8. I have seen an unnumbered one offered along with 3901 and 3902.

Athearn has done that before in the past. I always wondered why a model locomotive wasnt numbers like a real existing number. Unless it has happened, I havent seen it personally.

NateL

I believe Atlas did the exact thing quoted above with the B39-8. I have seen an unnumbered one offered along with 3901 and 3902.

Atlas has unnumbered B39-8s in P&W paint? Or just undecorated...If you can find out more about that could you send me a link or more info?

Atlas has unnumbered B39-8s in P&W paint? Or just undecorated...If you can find out more about that could you send me a link or more info?
They have one
http://www.atlasrr.com/holoco/hodash8locos.htm

ITEM # W/OUT DECODER (Analog) ROAD NAME ITEM # WITH DECODER (Digital)
HO DASH 8-40B
Undecorated (with decoder) 9000
7200 Undecorated (without decoder)
7201 GE DEMONSTRATOR (B39-8 Red/Yellow) #808 9039
7202 Providence & Worcester (B39-8 Brown/Orange) #3901 9040
7203 Providence & Worcester (B39-8 Brown/Orange) #3902 9041
7204 Providence & Worcester (B39-8 Brown/Orange) No # 9042
7205 Southern Pacific (B39-8 Gray/Scarlet) #8013 9043
7206 Southern Pacific (B39-8 Gray/Scarlet) #8028 9044
7207 Southern Pacific (B39-8 Gray/Scarlet) No # 9045

Athearn has done that before in the past. I always wondered why a model locomotive wasnt numbers like a real existing number. Unless it has happened, I havent seen it personally.

I'm not sure but I think the laws go that all equipment has to have a number and the reporting marks of the company that owns it.

I picked up an Atlas 8-40BW a while back that was un-numbered AND unlettered, but painted in Santa Fe war bonnet.........I'm assuming so it could be lettered for either Santa Fe or BNSF. I'd never seen that before.

I'm not sure but I think the laws go that all equipment has to have a number and the reporting marks of the company that owns it.

That is certainly correct. It is the law. I was really meaning to say that I have never personally seen a factory painted model locomotive that matched the same number of a prototype. It could very well have happened, but I havent seen it personally. Im not sure if companys like Overland number thier locomotives with the same number they got the prototype measurements from. Then again, I could very well be wrong about that.

I suppose I could take a few locomotives out of my stash and see if there are any pictures of the real thing w/ same number on a site like locophotos.

I suppose I could take a few locomotives out of my stash and see if there are any pictures of the real thing w/ same number on a site like locophotos.

All the Providence and Worcester Locos I have gotten and ones that I haven't, from Atlas and Athearn have the proper Number on them in realtion to the real thing. The only manufacturer I have had an issue with in talking about accuracy is the Intermountain unit I got. While it looked good and had the right number on it, the color they used for the P&W brown, was totaly wrong. It was BROWN, like a light mud brown. I have no idea why they used that.

Most of the scale model makers, like Walthers, Athearn, and Atlas now make sure that the engine numbers at least match the type of locomotive. They may not have all the prototype detail correct but it's rare now to find a model with a fantasy road number, while it was common in the Athearn BB days. The current Athearn SW-1500 in SP paint has an amazing amount of correct prototype details, including the light cluster. It's something SP modelers could only dream of 10 or 15 years ago.

Ive only gotten one locomotive with non existing road numbers. And that was an Alaska RR GP40 made by Bachmann. So i try and stick with Atlas and Kato...plus both of those companies are more realistic thatn Bachmann (in my opinion)

Nate, my thoughts EXACTLY.

LOL seriously, if only my LHS sold the unnumbered units...Atlas is the only place, and even unnumbered there still 100$...gerrr

...its a good thing im not trying to model Norfolk Southerns active loco roster :rolleyes: Their roster makes modeling P&Ws locomotives look like nothing...NS has approx 3,908 locos...quite the population of power if you ask me...compared to a mere 32 (ish?) that P&W has

Back