Reversing Section and Auto Reverser?

PMW

If you read the title and said to yourself, "another beginner", you were right :)

I'm ready to wire my wye and it's my first reversing section. Based on some online research I plan (at present anyway) to order either a Digitrax AR-1 or a PSX AR.
I use the NCE 5 amp smart booster. I invite anyone with thoughts or suggestions on this to post away!

Also, my insulated joiners are connected directly to the turnouts at either end of the reversing section. I recall reading (I don't recall where) that it is a good idea to have small sections of track attached to the turnouts and insulated connectors should be at the ends of these tracks instead. Should I re-work some track before I proceed?

Thanks, all!
Paul

A lot depends on what the track arrangement is. Doe the tail of the wye attach to anything? What track are you making the reversing section, the tail or one of the legs?

I have used PSX, Digitrax and MRC auto reversers. My current favorite is the Frog Juicer.

I have used my PSX-AR on two successive layouts, one for reversing a common turnback loop, the second time to reverse one side of a scissors wye. It never gave me a lick of trouble, was very reliable, very consistent. I have it safely stored in a shoebox because it is getting a break for the next 10-15 years.

You give the impression of being rather informed and secure in your track requirements. So, I'm not sure what you're looking for. If it's to save money, get a Cheapo DPDT. If you want reliability, I hope someone who has worn out all the varieties, or found all of their limitations, speaks up.

Sorry, I can't comment on the various brands of reversing units, but I've heard good comments about each unit. On my layout I used a Loy's Toys reversing unit and while a bit difficult to install, it has worked great for many years.

Toy's went out business and I was worried that replacement units would be unavailable should any thing happen to my original unit. A Forum member sent me two brand new units!

Greg

Last edited:
A lot depends on what the track arrangement is. Doe the tail of the wye attach to anything? What track are you making the reversing section, the tail or one of the legs?

I have used PSX, Digitrax and MRC auto reversers. My current favorite is the Frog Juicer.

Thanks! The reversing section starts at the diverging route of a turnout, goes through the point end of a wye and one leg of the wye continues the train in the same direction and the other leg is the rest of the reversing section which ends at the diverging route of another turnout.

Hope this helps. I can draw a picture if the above makes no sense :)

Paul

I have used my PSX-AR on two successive layouts, one for reversing a common turnback loop, the second time to reverse one side of a scissors wye. It never gave me a lick of trouble, was very reliable, very consistent. I have it safely stored in a shoebox because it is getting a break for the next 10-15 years.

You give the impression of being rather informed and secure in your track requirements. So, I'm not sure what you're looking for. If it's to save money, get a Cheapo DPDT. If you want reliability, I hope someone who has worn out all the varieties, or found all of their limitations, speaks up.

Thanks. No, I'm willing to pay for something that will work well and be convenient (simple).

Paul

In that case, and if you're not averse to spending a few tens of dollars, the PSX-AR, or its more recent replacement, will serve you well. You wire the bus wires from your command station to one end of the AR, to two input posts, and then you feed your gapped reversible section with two feeders issuing from the AR's outputs. The instructions tell you how to gap, how to wire it, how to adjust it so that it reverses your section properly (this adjustment is mostly about its reaction time after it detects a short), and then you forget it. It turns off as soon as you depower the layout, and it powers itself up as soon as you turn on the power and begin to play. You hear nothing, feel nothing...the device is rather amazing and...well....forgettable.

In that case, and if you're not averse to spending a few tens of dollars, the PSX-AR, or its more recent replacement, will serve you well. You wire the bus wires from your command station to one end of the AR, to two input posts, and then you feed your gapped reversible section with two feeders issuing from the AR's outputs. The instructions tell you how to gap, how to wire it, how to adjust it so that it reverses your section properly (this adjustment is mostly about its reaction time after it detects a short), and then you forget it. It turns off as soon as you depower the layout, and it powers itself up as soon as you turn on the power and begin to play. You hear nothing, feel nothing...the device is rather amazing and...well....forgettable.

That sounds perfect! As a beginner I have hesitated to wire the reversing section because I've never done it before and I figured it would either be complicated or if simple wouldn't work well but you encourage me to proceed :). I'll let you know how I make out.

Paul

I just isolated a 12” section on one leg of my wye. Connect that to your AR-1, separate booster or auto reverse module of your choice. It’s that simple. It does not need to be over complicated.

(Correction it’s a 15” section)

Last edited:
I just isolated a 12” section on one leg of my wye.

That works as long as you are only reversing an an engine less than 12" long and not reversing lighted passenger cars , cabooses, cars with sound units or any thing else that picks up power from the rails for any purpose.

To work correctly, only one end of the AR section can be crossed at a time. If you have engines longer than 12 inches (which includes two or more engines coupled together) then at some point an engine will be crossing each end of the section at the same time. The AR will not know what to reverse, because one end will need to be one polarity and the other end will need to be the other polarity.

The best track to isolate is the tail of the wye and the reversing section should be as long as the longest thing you are going to reverse.

That's why I asked what the track configuration was on the OP's railroad. If the tail of the wye is connected to anything else then it means additional gaps. If the tail of the wye isn't connected to anything else, then its easy peasy, just make the tail of the wye the reversing section.

For example here are some pictures I drew for other people asking about reversing loops. The tail track section:
RevWye.png

Here is a what seems to be more complicated layout, but is really the same thing:
AR1.png

Last edited:
The AR section may need a setting changed if you use circuit breakers on your power bus sections. The circuit breakers need to have their speed changed to be slower than the AR unit. Its fairly easy to do, the instructions are in the circuit breaker documentation. On some Digitrax units the adjustment is on the AR.

Thanks everyone. I will post a drawing of my situation as soon as I get a chance. This evening or tomorrow hopefully.

That works as long as you are only reversing an an engine less than 12" long and not reversing lighted passenger cars , cabooses, cars with sound units or any thing else that picks up power from the rails for any purpose.

To work correctly, only one end of the AR section can be crossed at a time. If you have engines longer than 12 inches (which includes two or more engines coupled together) then at some point an engine will be crossing each end of the section at the same time. The AR will not know what to reverse, because one end will need to be one polarity and the other end will need to be the other polarity.

The best track to isolate is the tail of the wye and the reversing section should be as long as the longest thing you are going to reverse.

That's why I asked what the track configuration was on the OP's railroad. If the tail of the wye is connected to anything else then it means additional gaps. If the tail of the wye isn't connected to anything else, then its easy peasy, just make the tail of the wye the reversing section.

For example here are some pictures I drew for other people asking about reversing loops. The tail track section:
View attachment 126213

Here is a what seems to be more complicated layout, but is really the same thing:
View attachment 126214
On my first DCC layout I had the reversing section on the main. It was single track layout that passed itself. I put in a crossover in connecting the two tracks which created a “reverse loop”. It basically looked like a double track main with a crossover. For the reversing section I isolated one of the switches (Atlas #6) and about 3 inches of track after the switch. It work perfectly for many years with multiple engines. Eventually I swapped out the AR for a booster.

On my current layout, one leg of my wye is part of a long controlled siding. It’s about 15 inches long. I turn multiple engine lash-ups with no issues. I’m still using a booster for the reversing section. I don’t use lighted cars but have sound. I don’t have any issues. I really don’t think it matters where the reversing section goes.

Thanks! I’m happy to have so many replies. I will try to post a drawing of my situation soon. Not because I think you guys need one to understand but because I think it may help me to understand your very much appreciated advice.

As my reversing section is now, it includes the tail of a wye and one of the legs (if I have the nomenclature right).

A further potential complication is that the reversing section connects to one power district at one end and a second power district at the other.

I’ve got a lot on my plate in other aspects of life right now but will try to get a pic up ASAP.
Thanks

Here is a representation of my plan for the reversing section. Hopefully this clarifies more than it obfuscates :) The short spaces between the track indicate insulated joiners, the short lines coming of the track show what power district the feeders belong to and the reversing section is the S-curve through the middle.

I use the NCE Power Cab with the 5 amp smart booster and an NCE electrical breaker for each of the two power districts.

Screenshot (20).png

Back