Revell Big boy paint

jtudor

It's model related, but it will be a stationary model.

My wife got me the Revell Plastic model for the 4-8-8-4 Big boy for Christmas. I haven't started building it yet because I am having a problem finding the paint. Revell does not say what manufacturers baint names or numbers are used in the instructions, and I cannot find the color names anywhwere so far. Revell does not even give paint chips and I wowuld really like to have the colors as close to right as possible.

Here is what I have from the instruction sheet:
The color numbers are from the German colors:

Aluminum, metallic 99 Humbrol 56
Black, matt 8 Humbrol 33
Stone grey, matt 75 Humbrol 64
Olive brown, matt 86 Humbrol 26
Steel, metallic 91 Humbrol 27003 Temp not avail.
Anthracite gray, matt 9 Humbrol 85
Fiery red, silky-matt 330 Humbrol 132 (description does not say matt)
Brass, metallic 92 Found Humborl Humbrol 54
Any help would be appreciated, I really want to get this model built and to make it a nice looking one too.

Last edited by a moderator:
You could model one of the remaining Big Boys, that are still kept in railroad museums, in which case the paint colours could be a little less critical. I,ve been lucky enough to see one in the flesh for myself, 4012 up at Steamtown.
Ron

You could model one of the remaining Big Boys, that are still kept in railroad museums, in which case the paint colours could be a little less critical. I,ve been lucky enough to see one in the flesh for myself, 4012 up at Steamtown.
Ron

Thanks for that, I have plenty of pictures, what I need is color names or numbers to match to the model.

As Josh said, Poly S or Floquil Engine Black will do for most of the engine. Floquil Aluminum is a good match for the smokebox and the firebox. A few engines were delivered new with the pilot also painted in imitation Aluminum paint. Basically, that's it. You'll see all kinds of odd schemes on the preserved engines, including painted valve gear and striped tires, but none of those were used when the engines were in service. The aluminum paint also weathered very rapidily and the Big Boys were pushed har in war service so they generally looked pretty ratty. This is a good example of a Big Boy in actual road service.

The Revell product is a very accurate model of the Big Boy and perfect for display. At one time, some company was selling motorizing kits for the Revell to make it into a working model.

4019profile.jpg

I emailed Revell asking for cross references on the colors or at least to know which paint manufacturers colors they were using in the instructions.

<sarcasm>
I got such a helpful response from CS that I had to share it here:

Dear customer,
Thank you for your request.
Please be informed that we do not deliver any paints to the USA. Possibly you
have to order them via Internet.
Best regards,
Dept. X

That response makes me wonder if they actually read (or understood) my original question? I didn't ask them to sell me paint or even tell me where to buy it, just who made the cited colors, or what they might cross to in another brand.

I am tempted to write back and ask them if the really read the question or just saw the word paint and fired off a generic response. I would probably just get another "useful" response though so why bother.

Another helpful response from the deep black hole of customer service in the year 2009. </sarcasm>

Sounds like a good name for a railroad, the "Black Hole Railroad".:D
I could see locations such as Inovation, Prompt Response, Coming Soon Lifetime Warranty and Limited Edition. Customer Service would refered to with signs, but never reached on the layout.
Of course, your equipment color would be flat black only.
Like so much of the advice given on the internat, this is worth about as much as you pay for it!:eek:

Given that the model is actually made in Germany, I'm surprised you even got an answer. I normally don't bother with e-mails to manufacturers, I come here and ask first. Someone almost always has the answer in a few hours.

At the rate so called Customer (Dis)Service deals with the question as is you'd be finished with the model anyway! LOL!:rolleyes::D

You'd be better off just going with the Polly S or such. If my memory serves me correctly the paints they used for those suggestions may not even be made..:confused:--I suspect Humbrol for some reason--must be the numbering--

I emailed C(Dis)S back and asked for further details and finally got a somewhat useful response, that the colors listed were Revell Germany colors, which they do not sell in the US. He further said that they do not have a cross reference to other manufacturers. Probably lawyers got involved here, "don't make suggestions about substitutes because we might get sued if the customer does not like our substitute suggestion."

HA!

It took me about 15 seconds of googling Revell Germany Paint to find a cross reference between the Revell number and Humbrol (which I added to my first post now for reference).

After doing the cross reference, I hunted for dealers and it took me longer to find one in the US selling the UK Made paint, but i finally found Red Frog Hobbies in NY that had all the colors in stock, even the one listed as discontinued!!

All for $1.79 each except the Steel Metallic which is $2.20.

Cheaper that the $3.50 - $4 locally for Floquil and PolyScale. Only about $22 shipped.

I have them on order so I hopefully will be ready to paint and build soon.

Now to learn how to airbrush, go buy one, and build.

One other thing would be great, If I could find one of those powering kits mentioned by UP2CSX above. That would be awesome!!

Hello All,

New to the forum. I found a PDF file online that cross references the paint numbers from different companies.

Attachments

• REVELL CONVERSION COLOR CHART.pdf
    24.7 KB · Views: 503

Back